Monday, September 28, 2026

Monday Morning

 Good morning.

I am waiting for sunrise. We will see if the clouds obscure it or make the sky more colorful. In the meantime, there's a chill in the air, and it feels like fall. For once, the calendar and weather are in agreement. Now onto this and that. 

The repairman came and looked at our stove and, of course, he had to order a part. If all goes well, it should be fixed in about a week. It was interesting watching him work. He used his phone and was on the line with someone from GE, exchanging pictures and information. 

Yesterday, I went to book club, where we discussed Theo of Golden that I reviewed last week. Everyone in the club liked the book, with several people giving it a 10/10. We found the biggest difference in opinions came from whether or not you listened to the book or read it. I won't give any more details of the discussion in case someone still wants to read it, but the ending prompted the most differing opinions. 

Last time, I mentioned the Coal Miner Memorial, dedicated to the miners of the area who lost their lives in the mines. We visited this after our rail bike ride in Frostburg, Maryland. Coal mining was a dangerous, very difficult job, and it was sad to read all the names and ages of the people killed and the families they left behind. Many were children, as you were allowed to go to work with a family member at age 12. The visit was both an informative and sobering experience.

The Miner Memorial Park was located next to the rail trail that you see along the fence.

Well, the dawn has broken without much fanfare, with the sky lightening to a dull grey. So instead of a colorful sunrise, I will leave you with a few colorful pictures from around the yard. 

A praying mantis on some basil, which, by the way, I used to make pesto last week (the basil, not the praying mantis 😀).

A volunteer Peruvian zinnia. This is only one plant. The blooms are small, but abundant.

This marigold is also a volunteer. 

This rose bush is blooming despite the feast that bugs are making of its leaves.

A rose bush in another part of the yard is faring better with the bugs.

I finally found the spot where the lantana is happy. It has done well here this year and last year.

The beauty berries have formed. These will be good food for the birds this winter.

The butterfly bush blooms match the color of the berries.

The anemones always provide good fall color. However, they are invasive, and after fighting with them for years, I will probably pull them out.

And speaking of fall bloomers, the mums are just starting. 

In another part of the yard, a grasshopper is hiding among mums that are still buds.

I guess it's time to get on with my day and go feed my sister's cat while she's out of town.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?