Sunday, September 20, 2026

Pedaling

 Ward and I have been out more than usual recently with weekend outings including a family reunion, an art show, a special line dancing event, a birthday party, a hike, and a cookout. So this weekend, to keep up our streak, we went to Frostburg, Maryland, for a rail bike outing. Rail bikes, for the unfamiliar, are vehicles with four wheels that ride on railroad tracks. They are powered by pedaling. 

We were in a bike like this. There were also two-seaters.

I first saw the bikes a couple of years ago when we stopped at an old rail trail depot. I was very intrigued and wanted to try them. However, the timing never seemed right. But I was determined to make it happen this fall before the weather got too cold. Saturday was the day.

Wally and Theo went with us, and instead of leaving at o'dark:30 to get there by 8 am, we got a hotel in the area for Friday night. We all agreed that it put us in a better mood to enjoy the day.

After a safety talk and check, we were off. Well, sort of. There were about 30 bikes on our trip yesterday, and it took a little while to sort us all out, but soon we were spaced far apart and enjoying the ride. As it turns out, most of the ride was downhill, so we were coasting a good portion of the 2-hour, 15-mile ride from Frostburg to Cumberland, MD. We did not complain.

Ready to go.

Along the way, we saw beautiful scenery including farms, woods, and the Allegheny Mountains. We also crossed two bridges, several highways, went through a tunnel, and did two track switches. It was a nice variety to ride through. The only drawback of the trip was that the breeze from our movement made things colder than I anticipated. Thus, I was often bundled up in my sweatshirt and didn't take as many pictures as I might have wanted. (BTW, the males of the family did not get cold.) But here are some pictures that I did capture.

Both the front and the back seat had a handbrake. We used this mostly to slow down when we were gaining on the bike in front of us. Our four-seater went faster than their two-seater.

The first part of the trip took us into the woods.

Once we were out of the trees, we had views of fields and mountains.

The tunnel was fun...

and the highway bridge was impressive.

They had crossing guards at every road crossing.


A large mural greeted us at the Cumberland station.


At the end, they provided a shuttle to take us back to our cars.

We weren't sure what to expect, but we were all pleased with this trip. The unique experience provided us with beautiful scenery and a fun family time. 

Until next time...

18 comments:

  1. That sounds like fun. There are a couple pedal tracks in Oregon, but they're a distance, a long distance, from me, or I'd be tempted to try them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was about 2 hours away, so that was doable.

      Delete
  2. What a great adventure! Thanks for sharing a rare treat like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was one trip where everything worked like it was supposed to. So it was indeed a rare treat we all enjoyed. :)

      Delete
  3. What a fun experience! I love reading about all your family trips and activities. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chronicled outings here mostly for myself, but if you enjoy reading about them, so much the better. :)

      Delete
  4. A rail bike ride that is mostly downhill, with a tunnel, mountain views, and a family to share it with, sounds like a lovely way to keep your weekend streak going. Thank you for the tour, and I hope you find your next outing soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked my calendar and there are some more weekend things coming up. However, next weekend looks like there's only my book club scheduled. That's good because we have several projects around the house that need more attention.

      Delete
  5. That looks like a blast! If I ever head out that way, I want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like it. While not common, there are various experiences like this around. Maybe there is one near you.

      Delete
  6. Oh it looks like a lot of fun!
    I don't think we have those around here but I'll have to check

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking around at locations to see if there were any in your area (not sure exactly where you are, but I have sense) and I found one in Clay County, WV. It might be a little far, but could be combined with something else. Next time, I'm back in that area, I may try this one. The bikes look nicer than the ones were were on. :)

      Delete
  7. That's the coolest thing I've seen today! I want to do this and bet my now sedentary aging hubby would, as well. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a trip that was for all ages and fitness levels. Although, I think it would have been hard to keep a toddler strapped in safely for two hours. You should look around and see if there are any near you.

      Delete
  8. What interesting rail bikes, I have never seen like those before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either until a couple of years ago. They are gaining popularity, so maybe you see some in your travels sometime.

      Delete
  9. What a fun activity. Love the mural and the scenery. So cute how you covered the faces!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scenery was really beautiful and I didn't get pictures to do it justice. But often the camera does not capture what our eyes see.

      Delete

What do you think?