Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Book Reviews

 Here are a few books I've been reading lately.

Theo of Golden by Allen Levi, Adult fiction, 2023

What it's about: Theo, an elderly man, moves to Golden, GA. He spots pencil portraits of local residents on the wall of a coffee shop and begins purchasing them. He gives each picture to the person featured in the drawing. Even though Theo is vague about his background, he gets recipients to talk freely about themselves with his quiet ways. Over time, Theo makes a difference in the lives of many people in the town. There is a bit of a mystery as to who Theo really is, but that is secondary to the personal stories of the people of Golden.

What did I think: I understand why this book is so popular. It has a quiet, understated feel that makes it a comforting read. Amongst the problems that the people face, there is a goodness to the overall situations. Also, there are many quotable quotes about life that Theo has learned throughout his years and shares. I think the writing was uneven at times, as the various vignettes are woven into a story, but that did not get in the way of the storytelling. I highly recommend this book, but not if you are looking for an action thriller. It is not that. 

What did others think: Theo of Golden was self-published in 2023. Its sales spread by word of mouth until it was published by a major publishing company in 2025. Then it was on the New York Times bestseller list. At all of the libraries around here, there are hundreds of people on the waitlist.

Her Heart's Desire by Shelley Shepard Gray, Adult fiction, 2023.

What it's about: Her Heart's Desire is an Amish Christian Romance in which Mary, a young 20-something Amish girl, travels to Florida from Ohio for a break. She meets two other Amish girls along the way, and they form a fast friendship, something they had not had before. They find romance and experience personal growth that makes them realize they need a change and that it's time to try new things.

What did I think? This was not the book for me. I found the story and writing very simplistic. Some of that may have come from the sheltered Amish lives the girls were living. I wanted to stop a couple of times, but was determined to finish to say that I have read one of this genre. This was Part 1 of the three-part Pinecraft series. I did not get invested in the characters enough to be reading the other two. 

What did others think? This book was given to me by a friend who reads many books in this genre. The author has written over 70 books to positive reviews and some awards. In this instance, I think Gray was writing a formula novel for which there is a proven market. Amazon gives it an A- and Goodreads gives it a B.

This Book Made Me Think of You by Libby Page, Adult fiction, 2026

What it's about: Tilly is a young grieving widow whose husband died six months ago from a long illness. Before he died, he worked with a local bookstore to find a year of books for his wife to encourage her after his death. Each month, she goes to the bookstore to get her book for the month. The books vary greatly, but encourage Tilly to live again. She slowly comes out of her stifling grief to move forward with her life. 

What did I think? If the book is about books, you've already hooked me. 😊

I found this one a touching and enjoyable read which explores grief and relationships, including romance. The story is somewhat predictable, but it was interesting to see what the new book was each month. I also appreciated all the references to various books of all kinds. They would make a good reading list. This Book Made Me Think of You was recommended to me by a friend, and I would recommend it, too.

What did others think? This book has several starred reviews and is on Amazon's editors' list of best books for 2026. Goodreads and Amazon readers give it an A.

Not Nothing by Gayle Forman, Children's fiction (middle grades), 2024.

What it's about: Twelve-year-old Alex is sentenced to community service in a nursing home for something he did that was very bad, the details of which are not revealed until the end of the book. He has had a chaotic life with a mentally ill mother and now lives with his aunt and uncle, who are not thrilled to have him. 

Alex comes into the nursing home with a huge chip on his shoulder and anger management issues. However, things start to turn around when he makes friends with Josey, a 107-year-old resident who has not spoken in 5 years by choice and is waiting to die. He speaks to Alex and tells the story of the love of his life and the atrocities of WWII they experienced. Other residents start opening up to Alex, and he is slowly transformed.

What did I think? I enjoyed this very powerful and touching story about the elderly and a troubled boy. Having spent time in nursing homes with both of my parents, I think the description of the characters there was very realistic. While not the main point, there were nods to gender issues and systems that fail troubled families and kids. I was moved by the book and shed a few tears at some of the more poignant parts. I highly recommend it.

What did others think? The book had many starred reviews, and both Amazon and Goodreads readers gave it an A. It was an Amazon editors' pick for Best Children's Books of 2024.

That's it for now.

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?