Thursday, September 17, 2026

The Rest of our Weekend

 First, a bit of business. Blogger was at it again, as I didn't see any new posts in my notifications for 4 days. I poked around a bit, but I'm sure I missed some of your blogs. It looks like maybe notifications are working again, so I should be visiting more regularly. I hope there are no more problems for a while. But Blogger is free, and sometimes you get what you pay for. Now on with the post.

Last weekend, we went to West Virginia for a family reunion. Here are a few of the highlights.

When I was growing up, we gathered at my grandparents' farm every summer to celebrate my grandmother's birthday. There were 23 of us cousins, and we had a great time running around the hills, but mostly playing in the creek and catching crawdads. Everyone would bring food, and we would usually make ice cream. I had so much fun. After my grandparents both died, we discontinued the gatherings for a few years. But the farm was still in the family, so we started them again. 

A young Theo playing in the creek at my grandparents' farm.

It was very special to me that I could take my kids to play in the creek and experience the big gatherings just like I did. We have continued the reunions over the years, but the crowd has gotten smaller and smaller. However, I'm still very happy to connect with any of my cousins who can make it, and this year was no exception. 

Although not the primary focus of the picture, you can see two things we have at our gathering every year. One is the crock with flowers that has the family name on it (blotted out), and the other is the tablecloth where attendees sign their names and dates.

Next to my family farm is a big farm where my father and his brothers all worked. I had heard for years that a Revolutionary War soldier was buried there. This year, I finally visited and found the markers of Bailey Rice and his wife, both born in the mid-1700s. 

Bailey survived the war and lived to be almost 100 years old. Almost triple the life expectancy at that time.
The other event we hoped to see last weekend was the Sternwheel Festival in Marietta, Ohio. Marietta, Ohio is directly across the Ohio River from Williamstown, WV, where we stayed. The first night we sat on the WV side and listened to the music and watched the barges and boats on the river. Saturday night was a big night of fireworks to celebrate the 50th year of the festival. After trying several places, we returned to my cousins' because of the crowds. And that worked out great. We sat on their porch out of the rain and saw a great show in the sky. We used a live stream for the lower-down displays.  So we didn't actually make it to the festival, but we got to participate in a way, away from the crowds. Just the way I like to do things.

There was a large stage at the waterfront with live music all day.

Sternwheelers lined the banks. There was a race Sunday afternoon that we didn't stay for.

We left Sunday morning planning to get home by 4 o'clock, in time to pick up our entries at the local fair. We entered them Thursday night before we left, and they had to be picked up 4-6 pm on Sunday. Luckily, we made it in time.

Along the way, we stopped at Cooper's Rock State Forest in WV. Fog obscured the otherwise scenic views.
 
Ward got Grand Champion with his Roycroft table.

And I got a blue ribbon for my embroidery sampler.

After the fair, we could finally go home. We were hot and tired, but happy with our weekend of visiting.

Until next time...


15 comments:

  1. What a wonderful weekend, from continuing the family reunion tradition at the farm to finding that Revolutionary War soldier's grave nearby! It sounds like you found the perfect way to enjoy the Sternwheel Festival too, watching from your cousins' porch away from the crowds while still catching the fireworks. Congratulations on the blue ribbon for your embroidery sampler, what a nice way to cap off a busy but rewarding trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana. Despite the rain we had most of the weekend, everything turned out well and we were able to do what we wanted.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely tradition, even though the crowd has thinned over the years. Congratulations to you both for your wins at the fair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, jj. I hope we can keep going for many more years, but everyone in my father's generation is gone and the next generation is not as interested, although some of them come.

      Delete
  3. Love this. What a great idea, signing a tablecloth and having family crockery out. Do you feel a little wistful when you see names from the past? Diana and Jj already expressed what I was thinking about the farm and the fair. Glad you had a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tablecloth was originally a sheet remnant, but has worked very well over the years. Yes, it was sad when I saw names of people who are no longer with us. This year was particularly hard because of a cousin who died in March. She was always an important part of our gatherings.

      Delete
  4. What a great trip.
    We still have a family reunion every August on the hottest weekend of the year. Such is life!
    We have a sign in book and have old photos of long gone family members. We do a lot of talking about getting together when we were all kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a sign in book, too, and plenty of old photos. Sometimes we play games involving family history. I think I would switch my gatherings to an inside spot if I had them in Alabama in August. :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a lovely weekend! And Theo is so cute playing in the creek! What fun memories.
    The Sternwheel festival sounds like a lot of fun. Glad you had a front porch seat to see the fireworks.
    Congratulations on the ribbons! Love the table and your embroidery is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely weekend, but I was tired at the end. Some of that may have been because I didn't make very good food choices. :)
      Theo was two when that picture was taken and I'm sure we were right there with him. However, when I look at it now, I see that was the perfect place for a copperhead to be. But there were no problems, so all's well that ends well.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a lovely weekend, June. Congratulations to you and Ward on your awards and ribbons at the fair! Two of your pictures didn't show up for me (the picture with the signed table cloth and the picture of Bailey), but, that just might be another Blogger issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Occasionally, a picture doesn't show up for me, either. I assume it is big enough that it takes two long too load, but I'm not really sure. Hopefully, this is not another Blogger issue brewing.

      Delete
    2. I was able to see the pictures, today. :)

      Delete
  7. I wish our family was closer and we'd have get togethers. I love the idea of watching a sternwheeler race and festival but I don't like crowds either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel is hard and expensive, so I understand not getting together as often as you would like. There are some cousins who live in other parts of the country that I haven't seen in a long time. But there are several who live within driving distance and those are the ones I see more often.
      Some year, I hope to see the races because they sound like fun.

      Delete

What do you think?