Thursday, September 24, 2026

Musings

Our range top is not working. After turning it on, it turns itself off in a few seconds. At first, the malfunction was intermittent, but now it happens every time on every burner. 

It's an induction range, which we really like, but it's too smart for its own good. When we first got the range, it came with a set of pots, and the skillet had a battery with it. We wondered what in the world that was for. It turns out that the skillet can talk to the internet, and then the internet talks to the stove and tells it how to cycle. We have never used that because we refuse to hook our appliances to the internet. (Although I realize that there could be many advantages to that. I basically don't like the idea of being hacked through my stove.)

Another thing the fancy cooktop does is turn off the burner when there's not a pot on it. We really like that safety feature, but now it does it even when a pot is on it. I think one of its computer circuits has gone haywire. 

The repairman is scheduled for tomorrow and hopefully will be able to easily fix the problem. In the meantime, for someone who is not into cooking, I'm surprised to find the non-working cooking top very inconvenient. But the oven works, as do the microwave and crockpot, so we are very blessed that this isn't really a problem. Just a minor annoyance.

BTW, did you notice in my descriptions about our stove, I used range, stove, and cooktop interchangeably. Maybe everyone but me is clear about those terms, but in case not, basically here is what they mean. A cooktop is self-explanatory. The top of the appliance that you cook on. A range includes both a cooktop and oven. A stove can refer to just the cooktop or the cooktop and oven together. Stove and range are often used interchangeably. On our range, only the cooktop is malfunctioning. Or I guess I could also say, on our range, only the stove is malfunctioning. There, did that clear everything up? 😉

When I sat down here to write, I had in mind to touch on a few things that have been going on around here. But apparently, I had more to say about the range/stove/cooktop than I realized. So the pictures of the coal miners memorial will have to wait for another day. 

Until next time...

8 comments:

  1. What a nuisance. Like you, I have no desire to hook up my appliances to the internet. Hope you get this problem resolved soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several more things the range can do with the internet, but I'm not sure what they are. I'm still trying to figure out convection baking. :)

      Delete
    2. Convection baking is the best thing ever for baked goods

      Delete
  2. I do hope your stove/cooktop can be repaired. It's a fairly new appliance, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we got it when we redid our kitchen 6 years ago. There are too many things that can go wrong with these fancy appliances. However, we couldn't get a simple induction range. They came with all the fancy features that we didn't want or need. But when it works, it works great. We don't have gas in our neighborhood, but it's like cooking on gas.

      Delete
  3. I had my own issues with my not-quite-two-year-old range last week. I made the mistake of setting the timer because that IS a feature on the range, and it wouldn’t stop beeping. It beeped for about 24 hours. Eventually, I had to shut off the power to the kitchen, shutting off the power to all of the appliances in there in order to get it to stop. I miss the days when things were a lot uglier, but they had knobs and they worked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am tired of smart appliances. I want things that just turn on and off with a switch or button. We have a duel fuel stove so the cooktop has no bells or whistles. But the oven is an entirely different animal. I remember when a stove was just a stove.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are able to get your range top fixed without too much hassle and expense. I don't think any appliance lasts very long anymore.
    My husband is fond of quoting Scotty from Star Trek "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain. "
    Love your backsplash tile!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?