Tuesday, October 11, 2022

We've Joined the Majority

Ward tested positive last Saturday for COVID, which means that our family joined the many other families who have had a member with COVID. In April, over half (58%) of the US population had already had COVID infections; no doubt, this number is even higher now. In the almost 3 years since the coronavirus was discovered, our family has been able to dodge getting infected. However, even though we have been careful, the coronavirus is so widespread it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Ward missed Family Day at Theo's
work because he was sick.

So far, Ward's infection is no worse than a bad cold. He feels well enough that he is getting bored because he has been sequestered to just a few rooms in the house. In the mornings, before I go to work, I make sure he has food, drink, and activities to fill his time until I get back since he's not allowed in the kitchen, the basement, our bedroom, or the den. He's working on a puzzle right now. I anticipate that in a few days, he should be good to join the world again. But this virus, if nothing else, is unpredictable. So we shall see.

In the meantime, Theo and I are symptom-free and are testing negative. And with every day that goes by, I feel more confident that things will stay that way. But we shall see.

We all feel lucky that we have been fully vaccinated and boosted because things could be much worse.

14 comments:

  1. I think it is just a matter of time before everyone will get it. Hoping Ward doesn't pass it on to you or Theo and that he starts feeling better sooner than later.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, it's just a matter of time before everyone gets it. Both Theo and I are in contact with a lot of people at work, so I'm actually surprised that we haven't already had COVID. However, my contacts are short and I wear a mask, so I think that helps.

      Delete
  2. I believe that's what I had also a few weeks ago after hearing from friends I'd been around that they had it now. It seemed like a cold but there were these very very odd symptoms. I hope none of the rest of you get it but seems to get to everyone in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the libraries are passing our free test kits around here, we had tests on hand to confirm what ailed Ward. There was a big family gathering planned for this weekend with my father-in-law, so we're glad we knew what was going on, so we could stay away.

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear that Ward has tested positive, although it sounds like his symptoms are mild. I hope that neither you nor Theo come down with it! Hope Ward recovers soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to how people suffered in the beginning of this pandemic before there were any vaccines, his symptoms are indeed mild. We feel so fortunate.

      Delete
  4. So sorry the virus found you. Our entire family finally go it three weeks ago, although it was the second time for our son. The first couple of days are the worse, I think. Glad Ward seems to be doing ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like your family got much sicker than ours. I saw Ward start to get better about day 3 and 4 and now at day 7, he's good to go. I expect something similar for me.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry to hear the June. I hope Ward gets better soon. Glad he doesn't have more serious side effects. I think everyone in my family's got it too except my mom and me. But you are right, it is only a matter of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you and your mother continue to be healthy.

      Delete
  6. Hope Ward is feeling better. I had it in August (for the first time) and was fortunate that the weather was temperate and we could keep the windows open much of the time. I did a little bit of sequestering the first few days, but our home is small and that's hard to carry out for long. Neither my husband nor my daughter caught it. It's definitely a much milder disease (at least with this variant) than it was earlier--more like getting the flu now--obviously you want to be careful, especially if you have medical issues that could lead to a bad case, but thankfully we aren't seeing nearly the numbers of cases or case severity that we were initially in the hospital where I work. Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I tested positive, I was somewhat relived that Ward and I didn't have to be so vigilant around each other anymore. In fact, the first thing we did was sit on the couch together. I am lucky that I am reasonable healthy and I don't have to worry too much about complications.

      Delete
  7. I hope Ward is better by now and that you and Theo didn't get it.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?