Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Q is for Quordle, Hurdle, and Wordle

 Are you participating in the Wordle word game phenomenon? It's a simple online game in which you get six attempts to guess a five-letter word. With each guess, you get feedback on whether or not the word you tried has any of the letters in the word of the day and if they are in the correct position. It was released in October 2021 by Josh Wardle, who first developed it for his partner. The game took off like crazy, and just a few months later, it was bought by the New York Times in January 2022. I think the brilliance of the game is that there is only one puzzle released every day, so there is no chance that you can binge play it. 

I was a little late to the game and started to play about a month ago when Miss Landers showed it to me. I quickly became hooked like everyone else. When I couldn't get enough of Wordle, (forget this one word, one game per day) I started to play Wordle 2, a knock-off of the original that has you guessing a 6-letter word. Not surprisingly, Wordle 2 has had to change its name to Word HurdleAnd because two of these games a day were still not enough, I started to play Quordle, which has you solving four five-letter words simultaneously.

 However, I am trying very hard not to try any of the other 40 or so copycat games out there because I don't need any more excuses to spend time on the computer. So when I finish my online word games for the day, I sate myself with an old fashion pencil and crossword puzzle book.

Do you like word games? Do you play Wordle or a similar game?

16 comments:

  1. I played Scrabble for a while. A friend of mine suggested wordle but I never tried.. looks like a fun game

    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Scrabble, but haven't played for a while. Wordle will just have to do until I have time to get the Scrabble game out again.

      Delete
  2. My niece tried to get me into Wordle. I discovered that I'm really terrible at it. It might be because I'm a terrible speller so trying to figure out a word with minimal clues, well you can see I'm never getting the word within the five chances. So I recently downloaded Word of the Day app to help me expand my vocab and maybe be a better speller. Today's word is Lulu which I did not even know is a word. It means an outstanding example of a particular type of person or thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be an excellent speller, but over the years with autocorrects and spellcheck, I have become a bad speller. That hinders me with crossword puzzles sometimes, because even if I have guessed the clue, I sometimes spell it wrong and mess things up. But eventually, I figure it out.
      Lulu is a good word that I use occasionally. However, many of the words that show up on my word of the day, I've never heard of and usually don't remember.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I enjoy playing Wordle and I got my daughter hooked on it, too. I've also discovered Tom's Guide for hints when I'm struggling .... just saying. Ha. I tried playing a musical version of it (can't remember the name now) but many of the terms were pretty obscure so I've stopped trying. I've become hooked on a few other free NYT games--The Mini and Tiles are my favorites and I enjoy them more than I do Wordle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have played Nerdle, a math equation version of Wordle, but it takes me too long to figure them out, so I stick with the word games. I shouldn't, but I will check out Mini and Tiles.

      Delete
  4. I really don't even know where to find wordle daily. On the new york times site?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The links in the post should take you straight to Wordle.

      Delete
  5. Son3 and I play world everyday and post our results to see which one of us did the best. We are a very competitive family so_____.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it sounds like the athletic competitiveness in your family spills over into other things. :)

      I have not yet shared my results with anyone, but many of my friends do.

      Delete
  6. I've been afraid to try Wordle because I already spend way too much time playing Words With Friends. But if there's no way to binge play I may give Wordle a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like word games, it only takes a few minutes a day.

      Delete
  7. My daughter and I play Wordle and she also played Quordle, Octordle, and Nerdle from time to time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, I play Wordle and Quordle almost every day. However, I only play Nerdle every once in a while.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for explaining what Wordle was. I have seen people play it but didn't know how it was played. I hadn't heard of the other spin offs from it. Probably good that I hadn't. I may play Wordle down the line. I play Word with Friends online. My mom would do word search puzzles and crossword puzzles. It kept her sharp I do believe! These types of games are really good for our aging minds I think :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got into the Words with Friends although I know many people who did. I think Wordle is the new Words with Friends in popularity. I think you'll like Wordle and it only takes up a few minutes a day.

      Delete

What do you think?