Sunday, September 22, 2024

Not Yet

 For a week or more now, I've been meaning to write a post about the spotted lanternfly, but I have not because I have to do research for it. Well, this evening, I have been doing that research, and I'm starting to get creeped out by them, so I have reached my lanternfly saturation for the day. I am saving that post for another time. So "Not Yet" for the lanternflies.

Onto some flower pictures from around the yard, but first a look at Ward's latest creation. 

Ward had never made a cabinet before and wanted to learn,
so he made this trash can cabinet for Wally and Theo's place.
He used the same maple and blue paint 
on the console table he made for them.


It has a handy drawer for trash bags or anything else you want.

Nasturtium


Sunpatiens 


Zinnias. You may remember that I fought a fierce battle with earwigs over these flowers,
but I eventually won.
 


Beauty berries. The birds will like these in the winter.


Black-eyed Susan


Cherry laurel. This usually blooms in spring.


Butterfly bush. We're still seeing a few butterflies on it.


We cut the fig tree to the ground in the spring, but it has grown quite nicely.


However, this is only the third ripe fig on it. Our growing season
just doesn't seem to be long enough to get many ripe ones.

Anemone. I have discovered this plant is hard to control,
but it makes a nice display in the fall.


The anemone was buzzing with bees. Notice the yellow pollen sac on this bumble bee. I always get a thrill when I see one of these brightly colored sacs.


Abelia

That's it for now, so until next time...

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Ward's first cabinet looks perfect, to me! Very impressive!
    Your garden is looking great with all the fall flowers and ripening figs. I hope more of the figs will ripen before winter comes. Looking forward to the post about lanternflies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cabinet did turn out well. We need some cabinets in the basement to replace the ones that got ruined from a flood. We were just going to buy some cheap ones off the shelf, but the standard sizes don't fit. This was a practice for this job. However, he's not very excited about doing them for the basement, so I'm not sure when that will happen.

      Delete
  2. Ok, Ward did a fantastic job on the cabinet and table! That is really impressive! Your flowers are still so beautiful. I passed by some mums the other day and was tempted to buy them, but I'm trying to wait a little. I have been terrible at commenting lately, but wanted you to know I have loved all of your fair pictures and so proud of you and Ward for your entries! It looks like so much fun. Our town has an arts festival that is sort of similar, but I love the feel of yours! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our mums haven't bloomed yet and I too have been tempted to buy some. The planters on the front porch where I would put them, still look good, so I'm going to wait. Our fair does have a good feel to it. It's maybe not the place to be if you like a lot of excitement, but I don't. So it's good for me.

      Delete
  3. Ohhh, the cabinet. I'm drooling. It's gorgeous. I was gonna say that I wanted Ward to live close by and build me cabinets. but then I read your response to Bless and realized that he has his work cut out for him at home. :)

    Your flowers are lovely--I'm assuming that, like us, you haven't had any frosts yet. We have had a record-breaking month in terms of hot weather. I'm wishing for fall weather, but on the bright side, it's extending the length of my flower season (like Mandy, I'm holding off on purchasing mums--I generally wait till my potted begonias get frost-bitten, and this year it looks like I'll have them blooming into October).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had a frost yet, but it's a little early for us. Ward is starting to work on Christmas presents now, and we're doing a lot of brainstorming on the details. I think we'll have to get new flooring in the basement before we replace the cabinets. That's going to be a big job both for cost and figuring out what to get.

      Delete
  4. Ward's cabinet making skills are impressive. That piece is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His skills are good, and I like combination of the blue and maple.

      Delete

What do you think?