Wednesday, September 11, 2024

A Fair Tale

 Kris commented on my last post that it was nice that my community fair was open to everyone. Well, that's the first thing that attracted me to it. 

My first ribbon

The little town I grew up in had a big festival every fall. It was big enough that we got out of school a day for it. It had a carnival, parades, food, music, and a band festival. Along with those were exhibits of things people made and won ribbons for. They were standard country fair-type things with big pumpkins, baked goods, quilting, etc. However, the only kids who could enter things were those in 4-H. That wasn't me. I was a Girl Scout. I was always envious of my friends who got to enter their projects at the festival for all to see.

Jump ahead 30 years, when we moved to Maryland, I discovered that our community had a fair every fall, and everyone was allowed to enter. I was excited about the possibilities and the fact that I would finally realize a childhood dream. That year, I entered a cross-stitch piece and got a blue ribbon. I was hooked. 

The exhibit hall

As time passed, I realized that the fair organizers encouraged you to enter as many things as you wanted, even giving prizes for the most entries for various ages. So I started entering more things, not worrying much about whether they were winners. It was a way to support the organization. The fair was also generous with ribbons; you would probably get one if you entered more than a few things. The rewards for winning a ribbon are just a token, with currently, a first-place ribbon winning $2. We usually take our winnings and go out for ice cream after we pick up our entries.

Lucky and Lucy won ribbons for Best Groomed
and Sweetest Face, among other things.

When the kids were younger, they entered things, too. They entered art projects from school, something they built at home or in scouts. One year, they did the pet show with our cats, Lucky and Lucy. Ward has entered some of his woodworking projects, and we all took turns entering vegetables from the garden and flowers from the yard. I don't remember everything I've entered, but some entries have been flowers, veggies, photos, jewelry, knitting, cross-stitch, cookies, and canning. 

Black Walnuts from our backyard that Theo entered.

I have a tradition, of sorts, with the fair. Entries are accepted Thursday night and then open to the public on Friday afternoon after the judging is finished. I meet one of my sisters Friday afternoon, and we have a hotdog lunch from the fire department auxiliary group. They grill the hot dogs outside, and you get to pick the one you want from the grill. You used to be able to get a hot dog, potato chips, and a drink for $2.50. Well, inflation has hit here as well, and now the price has doubled- which is still cheaper than any fast food around (and it's for a good cause). Then we go inside to see if we won any ribbons. I not only get excited when I see one of my things with a ribbon on it, but I also get excited when I see that someone who I stood with in the entry line has one, too. 

The tractor playground is always a hit with the younger crowd.

The fair is definitely a feel-good experience for me and reminds me of the small town I grew up in. (Although my town's festival was larger than this fair.) For the last two years, I have even done storytimes about our fair, talking about things the kids would see there. Some people were unaware of the fair and have come back and told me how much they enjoyed the fair after learning about it during storytime.

Next time, I'll tell you about this year's experience at the fair.

Until then...

11 comments:

  1. When I was in elementary school our teachers would submit writings not for content but for a penmanship award. It is the only thing of mine ever entered in the fair and I did win a blue ribbon at the state fair for my 4th grade cursive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed. A State Fair ribbon is a big deal, and I'm pretty sure that your handwriting in 4th grade looked a whole lot better than mine did. Of course, cursive is a thing of the past.

      Delete
  2. I can't remember ever going to the county fair when growing up. It cost money to get in and was usually on thursday, Friday and Saturdays, and we had church Friday and Saturdays and my parents slept a lot on the weekends. It wasn't much of a fair anyhow, carnival rides, carnie booths and condemned animals which I've never wanted to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do have to pay to get into the county fairs around here and we've gone a time or two. However, the crowds were too big for me and the parking was a hassle. That's why I'm so happy that I get a taste of a fair with our little community one.

      Delete
  3. What a nice fair! It's fun to win a prize, and I would enjoy looking at other people's entries. I've never been part of a fair where anyone can enter.

    The thing I like about our fair is that it is a smaller one--they do have some rides, but they only operate them on the weekends, and we choose to attend on a week night. Since it's a 4H fair, it's mainly composed of animals and exhibits. Entry is free and it's a pleasant activity for families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While there are plenty of activities that appeal to kids, this fair is enjoyed by all ages. There are animals, but not many. Where we really saw animals was at the Houston Livestock and Rodeo show. That was a big deal, and I think worth the money to get in.

      Delete
  4. I like the sound of your fair. Ours used to be small, and I could drop the boys off all day with a couple dollars and never worry about them. They could eat, ride the rides, and have a great time with their friends while inworked in the Young Farmers ice cream booth. When they were in high school they entered animals as they were in FFA, and made some very good money. It is much, much larger today, and we have not been in years. Your fair sounds like something I would enjoy very much. Congratulations on all your ribbons-- that has to be exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have me wondering now if any of the livestock that are auctioned off are from FFA members or they are all 4-H members. If you were here, I can only imagine all of the canning you could enter. They are trying to get more canning entries, so there was a special $5 incentive for anything entered in the canning category.

      Delete
    2. My parents met at a FFA dance. :)

      Delete
  5. Your community fair sounds like a lot of fun. Congratulations on all the ribbons and awards you've won! There's an annual county fair, here, but, it is very big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky that in addition to the big county fairs around here that our community does this smaller fair.

      Delete

What do you think?