Wednesday, March 27, 2024

This and That!

The pear trees are budding! Unlike some other fruit trees,
 the leaves and the flowers on our pear trees come out at the same time.

Most of my posts recently start with some version of I don't have anything to say and then proceed with this and that about my everyday life. I'm gonna try to change it up today, so get ready for an exciting ride!

There was no greater satisfaction this week than when we dropped off another bag of shredding at the free personal shredding place! This, of course, means that we are continuing to make progress going through our files, which is part of an effort to declutter our house. We started in the bedroom and then moved to our office. Work continues, but we are well over half done! The great thing about not regularly culling papers is that many of them are no longer relevant. Waiting for just the right moment to sort files is our tried and true method of making the job easier - at least for some of the decisions of what to keep!

But don't fear; our files will not be empty! Our recent car drama has created enough paperwork to fill at least one of the drawers alone! We are still working out all the details, but we have a new van, and things are proceeding. And before you know it, it will be settled! Hooray!

I found a hidden surprise the other day - 4 bags of apples! Well, actually, they weren't so much hidden as forgotten. Last fall, we made a big effort to process the apples we got off one of our trees. We did many, but when push came to shove, we put the rest into the fridge in the basement to do at a later time. So the later time is today! Most of the apples had bad places in them when they were stored, so many of them are totally rotten now. Oh, well. I plan on dehydrating what's left for good snacks!

Are you excited yet?! I tried to spice up this post by throwing in exclamation points here and there, whether or not it was appropriate for the sentence. Which brings me to one of my pet peeves. Over the last few years, I've seen increased use of exclamation points in everyday sentences. They don't seem to be saved just to indicate surprise or excitement as they used to be. This is part of a language trend that involves a lot of hyperbole, which I think dilutes the meaning and impact of our communication. I understand that language is constantly changing, but I don't like it. Bah, humbug!

The apples are calling. 

Until next time...


6 comments:

  1. Yay!!!! It was an exciting post!!! I was so happy to read that your pear trees are budding! And, you had another bag of shredding to drop off! Not to mention the great progress in decluttering your files! And finding, not one, but four (!!!!) bags of apples! What a bounty! LOL! I can definitely do with more excitement (and exclamation points!!) in my daily life! So, thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your enthusiastic encouragement, Bless!!!!

      Delete
  2. Love to see the pear tree blooming! Glad you can salvage some of the apples. I haven't used our dehydrator in a long time. I really need to. How do you store your dehydrated foods? Do you put them in canning jars? I have several jars of veggies I did many years ago, but now I'm afraid to eat it. Haha! Yay for getting rid of some paperwork. I pulled a huge pile out yesterday that I need to file away and throw some out. Ugh. I just let it get out of control this time. Oh, and !!!!! haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I store what I've dried either in a ziploc bag or a glass jar. Sometimes, I put them in the fridge, also, but I don't think that it is necessary because we try to use them in a year or so. I don't know about your veggies, but I would guess if you don't see any mold or deterioration, they are probably still good. Good luck with your files. Papers are my least favorite thing to sort.

      Delete
  3. !!!! You crack me up!!!!!

    Yay you for tackling a task that you dislike. I did that today--I washed the kitchen/dining walls, the outside of the cupboards, and the floor (on my hands and knees). Not my favorite job but I sure do like how clean the kitchen looks when I finish. Sort of like your excitement with dropping off shredding paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cleaned my kitchen floor and cabinets yesterday on my hands and knees, too!! Our floor does not show much dirt, so sometimes we forget that we should be mopping. So that was one of the things on my list for this week. And now it's crossed off!! Yay!!

      Delete

What do you think?