Friday, March 22, 2024

Trees (and Other Things) are a Bloomin'

The plum tree, Saturday afternoon

Last Saturday morning, we went to Virginia to visit my father-in-law. Later that afternoon, we came home and saw that the plum tree was in full bloom! Saturday morning, it was mostly bare branches, and voila, that afternoon, it was full of blossoms. Spring is like that. 

I have been thinking about this post for a while now and was going to feature trees and their new growth processes. But every day, the post I write in my head has to change because nature always seems to be one step ahead of me. So below, before everything skips the rest of spring and becomes summer-like, here are pictures from the past few days around the yard. 

Forsythia. We have a long hedge along our back fence. While it is pretty in the spring,
it grows like wild and requires a lot of upkeep to keep under control. 


The Bradford pears are in bloom everywhere.
This was one we had in our front yard until a storm took it out a few years ago.

The ornamental cherry trees are blooming everywhere, too.
We're lucky that we get to see our neighbor's tree right over the fence.

Our cherry tree is fruit-bearing and hasn't flowered out yet. 


Quince bush. This was much like the plum tree.
One day, it was bare, and the next, it was in full bloom.

Daffodils 

Daffodils


The phlox is just starting to bloom.

The warm weather last week was followed by temperatures in the 20s some mornings, and several things, like these mums, got frostbitten. 

I have to work all weekend, but we're supposed to have flooding rains on Saturday, so that's a good day to be inside. What's happening at your house?

Until next time...

10 comments:

  1. Oh, the ornamental cherry tree and plum tree are just beautiful while blooming out! Thank you for sharing these. I always love to see what spring looks like in other parts of the country. Our Bradford has completely bloomed out and now we have green leaves. It happens so fast! Not much on the agenda for us this weekend. The Teen and his dad went to a movie tonight, so I'm catching up on blog reading. I think they are going to hang some curtains for my mama tomorrow, so I'll probably go over and visit with her while they do that. Hope the rains aren't too bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is such a pretty time of year, and I also like seeing how and when it arrives in different parts of the country. My son and my husband are planning an outing to see the movie, "Dune". Is that what your son and husband are going to see? I watched the first one on TV, but don't want to go to the next one. However, they are real fans and have the Dune books multiple times.

      Delete
  2. I love the beauty of flowering trees. It does seem to happen overnight, doesn't it?

    We had a snowstorm last night and today. The snow covered the blooming crocuses. This has been a very odd winter, with dramatic shifts in the weather.

    My daughter and I are joining up with another mother/daughter team tomorrow. We're going to see our high school musical, Mamma Mia, which will have me singing ABBA all weekend long, much to my daughter's dismay. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a fun show, and I would be singing all day, too. I have had to be poked before for singing along too much. :)

      Delete
  3. All those flowering trees and other plants look so beautiful! Spring has sprung! Sorry your mums got frostbitten, though! I hope the rains don't cause any flooding, especially of roads if you have to drive to work and back. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything that didn't like the cold weather should recover okay. Hopefully, it will just be a slow down in growth. I should be fine going to work. I don't have to go through any flooding areas, but there are some low spots that you have to slow down for when it rains a lot.

      Delete
  4. Your plum tree is gorgeous! We really need to plant some trees this year. We've lost all of our big ones, and I miss having trees. Your forsythia looks great, too! Ours is wild and huge; we really need to trim it. I love this time of year when everything starts blooming! I hope nothing else gets frostbite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that you lost all of your trees. That would be difficult to live with. We had many more trees at our old place, but just enough here. We don't have as many leaves and broken branches to clean up. What kind of tree would you want to plant?

      Delete
  5. My forsythia has been blooming since December, strangely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a long time. Are they different bushes in different places?

      Delete

What do you think?