Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Learning

I have several new electronics that are filled with more functions than I will ever need, but I'm trying to learn some of them because they are useful. But motivation is a problem because I'm old enough to have known a world before a computer was attached to everything (and it was quite a fine world, at that), so I'm not driven to be tech savvy. However, I've been trying to get out of my lazy comfort zone and embrace the new possibilities that are before me. And that's a whole lot of words to say: I tried out the camera on my new cell phone this weekend on another visit to Carroll Creek Park. More study and practice are needed, but below are a few pictures of our walk.


One end of the park is filled with kinetic sculptures that all move with the wind. This one is "The Tree of Life". 


If you look closely, you can see how it got its name.


"Rotary Lotus" The petal levels of this one turn in different directions.


"Three Little Birds" If you look closely among the leaves, you will see two flying birds on the ends of the top cross arm. The third one is perched on the lowest branch.


"Together as One"


"Water Lily with Dragon Fly"


"Murmuration"


"An Elusive Kinetic Portrait" When the angle is correct, you can see the portrait of Theophilus Thompson in the middle, the earliest documented African American chess expert. He wrote a book on chess published in 1873.

 There were many more beautiful things to see along the waterway, but I'll leave you today with just the kinetic sculptures. 

Until next time...


8 comments:

  1. It seems to me you have learned your new camera well. I remember times without computers as a part of every single thing and I miss the simplicity.
    My appliance repair man even told me not to use the self cleaning feature on my oven because it will fry the motor board. I used to have a self cleaning oven and you just set the temperature knob to "clean", raised the shield on the stove window and it did its job. Of course everything else on the stove was manually operated so I did not have to worry about frying something that did not exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our new range has some features that can only be used with an app. Another thing on my learning list is to figure out if I want some of these features enough to install an app on my phone. I haven't seen a similar caution about the oven cleaning feature frying the mother board, but I guess I should check into that, also.

      Delete
  2. What a pretty place to walk! I would enjoy looking at all those sculptures! I think you did a great job taking pictures of them! I get what you are saying about learning new technology (or attempting to learn it). It is a challenge but hey, we are up to a challenge, right? I hope you share more pictures or sights that are along that walkway!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The walkway is long with fountains and flowers and is beautifully done. I was having problems with Blogger and Google photos, so I didn't include any of more pictures this time. And not all of the pictures turned out well. There are some pictures of the rest of the walk in the link in the beginning paragraph if you want to see more.

      Delete
  3. I love those, they're beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a light breeze so we saw a little movement of the sculptures. I would like to be there sometime when there was more wind so we could see them in full movement. They were interesting to look at all the same.

      Delete
  4. Your phone photos are beautiful and clear; I think you learned the camera function on your phone very well! I enjoyed seeing them and the return visit to the park through your photos. :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?