Monday, January 24, 2022

Progress

Sunrise from a couple of days ago. The snow is mostly gone now.

Good morning from my chilly new home -for my computer anyway. As part of our efforts to get ready for construction, I moved my computer into one of the extra bedrooms, and it's cold. This new environment may prevent me from lingering at the computer and playing another game that I don't need to. :) I layered up yesterday to work here, but then I was too hot for the rest of the house. I'm sure I figure out a good compromise, but until then, Brrrrr.

Ward also moved his computer from the office into the living room and is ready for work today. We added a table in there to have a coffee pot and microwave on the main level when construction begins, but we had to be careful not to block the window ledge the cats love. We're a bit worried about how the construction will affect them, especially because they are so old. But I think if they get adequate lap time, they will be okay.

The guest room has reached capacity on the number of boxes it can have and still be able to get to the bed. Wally occasionally sleeps there when he visits, and we have company scheduled for a visit in about a month. We want to be able to offer them reasonable accommodations - at least a clear path in and out of the room and surface to put a suitcase on.

And it goes on. I have a donation pickup scheduled in a week, but I'm going to have to start boxing some of it up before then because the pile is getting in the way. I also have feelers out to find a place to donate our old working appliances. The first place said they don't want them, and I'm waiting to hear back from another. 

My fingers are cold, so I think it's time to move on from this room. I have to get ready for work, anyway, which, by the way, is still hectic because, in addition to the test kits, we are now passing out N-95 masks.

Until next time...


12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are entering a chaotic time. Hang in there! I love a combination of cardigans, throws, and my corn bag to keep me comfortable in my house. Can you lure your cats into your new office area to snuggle with you and warm you up??

    I'm sure that work is also hectic, what with all the new responsibilities. Thanks for serving the public in such an important way.

    Meanwhile, we are getting dumped with snow here. My husband just shoveled and said that we have at least 8 inches. That's a lot more than was predicted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like working with the public and being helpful, although it can be trying sometimes. And sometimes I wonder about people like the lady who called wanting to know if we would stay open extra for her (there is a quite liberal schedule including nights and weekends) and did we have masks in any color besides white. Remember this is a free service paid for by the county. And the people who yell at us because the line is too long. But by and large, people are pleasant to us and each other. Sometimes people just have a bad day.

      Is your husband still working from home? How about your daughter and her schooling? Meaning did any of you have to go out in the latest snow?

      Delete
    2. Yes, my husband is working from home. My daughter has in person school and school was held today. The amount of snow that we got was a surprise. Our school district has had multiple days off and will need to request a 3 day "forgiveness" so we are hoping to not have too many more snow days. We had 2 days off for covid, 2 due to threats of violence (after the school shooting across the state. Many districts had to deal with copycat threats) and I think we have already had 4 inclement weather days? Not sure if I got the numbers right on that. We are given 6 days per year for that kind of thing. That's probably way more than you wanted to know! In answer to your question, both my husband and I had to be driving in the snow. You just have to deal with it around here. I prefer snow over ice, which terrifies me to drive on.

      Delete
    3. I'm with you. Definitely, snow over ice.

      Around here, they are doing virtual classes on a school by school basis and trying to keep schools open if they can. However, the students at several high schools have done a walk out protesting the fact that the COVID numbers are high and they don't have virtual learning.

      Delete
  2. The photo is just gorgeous! And, of course, there I no snow here.
    I know you will love the remodel results and hope it is not too torturous during the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday, we had one of the most brilliant sunsets I had ever seen, but my camera could not capture it.

      I know the results will be good and fit the way we use things better. However, I know when we were having work done outside, I got tired of the hammering and power tool noise, so we'll see how it goes when they are inside for a longer period of time. But I very much realize how lucky we are to be able to do this.

      Delete
  3. The photo of the sunrise if beautiful! Almost makes me want to wake up early enough to see one! :D Can you get an electric space heater for the room you use as your computer room and have it on when you are there at the computer? Would that help? Sounds like you are busy at work. As Kris said, thank you for serving the public in such an important way. Hope the cats tolerate the construction and everything goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your night owl schedule, you could just stay up to see the sunrise and then go to bed. :)

      I am considering a space heater. We had one in the other house and I'm not sure if it made the move or not. I haven't seen it since we moved, but perhaps it is hiding in Ward's shop somewhere.

      Delete
  4. I imagine the cats will adjust. Or hide out during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sunrise photo is spectacular! Sure sounds like you have a lot going on these days. Have a fantastic Friday and a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha! Hope you have a great weekend, too.

      Delete

What do you think?