Friday, August 7, 2026

WV Trip, Travel Day


Ward and I just returned from a five-day trip to West Virginia. As most of you know, that is where I grew up and where many of my relatives still live. Returning to West Virginia and places from my childhood gives me a special feeling of familiarity and belonging. I haven't lived in WV since I finished college, but it is still home. I think that happens with most people, but West Virginians may have an even deeper connection to their roots. It's like we find the hills and the backroads and all is right with the world. 

I don't go back as often since my parents passed away, but we usually make it there once a year or so for a family reunion, or unfortunately, a funeral. Those trips are hurried and exhausting. So, I decided that I wanted to visit with no particular agenda and for more than a day or two. I made that happen this week.

The drive to our destination takes about 5-6 hours, and we were in no hurry, unlike some other times. The halfway point is around Morgantown, WV, home of my alma mater, West Virginia University. Most of the time our stop here is a quick one for gas and a bathroom. This time, I wanted to see the trail that has been developed along the Monongahela River in the middle of town. 

It had been raining most of the trip, but cleared up just as we reached Morgantown, so we took our chances and left our rain jackets in the car. The first part of the trail is a park, and the later part is a rail trail. Here are a few things we saw on our walk.
The trail starts out with a bridge over Deckers Creek, which joins the Monongahela at this point. 

Along the bridge, we saw a new-to-us Princess tree. Apparently, it is invasive and host to the dreaded spotted lantern fly. But it was impressive to see.


There is a 1,500-seat amphitheater facing the river where they have a free concert every Friday night during the summer.

Some of the old buildings along the river have been repurposed, and some have not.

However, the WVU women's rowing team has a new building.

Inspiring words for the day: "Those who keep trying cannot be defeated."

The "Singing Tree of Diversity" art.

Over three hundred people made leaves for the tree, and they are supposed to represent that the strength of a community is derived from its diversity.

More inspirational signage.

and there were gardens along the way.

After our walk, we headed for our next destination--the Don Knotts statue. Don is from Morgantown. I love the nod to his character, Barney, with the hat.

On our way to see Barney, we spotted another fun mural.

Then it was back to the highway for some serious driving, reaching our destination by late afternoon, just when we planned.

This post is already longer than I had intended, so I'll pick back up on the next post.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?