Friday, July 24, 2026

This and That

 Otherwise known as Speed Blogging or a Check-In (with unrelated flower pictures from the yard)

Allium

Has anyone else been having this problem with Blogger? It used to be that the blogs I followed would show up in my reading list pretty much as soon as they were published. Now, they are hours or days late. Yesterday, I got notice of some posts that had been published four days earlier. And when I get notice for the late ones, they don't show up at the top of the list. They nest themselves in the list with the time they were published. All of this means that I am missing some posts and/or not commenting on them until days later. This is certainly a small problem in the grand scheme of things, but I find it annoying. You are my friends out there, and I like checking in with you. I guess I could do some research and see if there is a fix for this. But you know how it is; it's always easier to complain than to take action. 😀

The Japanese beetles have found the roses.

For the last month or so, I've been on a decluttering kick. In a few spots, it was because I was running out of room. However, in most places, it was time to open drawers and boxes and sort shelves that haven't been looked at in a couple of years or even decades. The work has been tedious, but I'm making progress. 

And so have the lantern fly nymphs.

First, I went through all of my clothes. I'm not a clothes horse by any shape, but I still found a lot to donate. Now that I don't have to worry about work clothes, I don't need as many options as before.

Next up was the family room. I went through every shelf and drawer in there and found more things to donate or recycle. I spent the most time going through old letters, emails I had printed, and notes from over the years. I guess you would call my papers a very large, unorganized journal. Much of it was recycled, especially emails that reminded me of some of the difficult times. I don't need to relive the details of them. Some of the letters and notes I saved with the idea that I would write up some of the stories about Wally and Theo's early years. They definitely exemplified the phrase, "Kids say the darndest things." But that will be a huge task for another day.

We aren't getting much action on our butterfly bush, but they seem to like the nearby coneflowers.
Next, I moved into our office. I started with a tall bookcase that is home to many more things than books. That has been sorted, including one of the important things: our gift card basket. We truly appreciate gift cards when we get them, but are not the best at using them. They go into the basket and are then out of sight and out of mind. We have inventoried them all and got balances on some of them. A few of them are old enough (no PIN) that we need to take them to the store to see their value. And unfortunately, a couple of the stores are no longer in business. I'm going to blame Ward for these because they were ones he got at the gym for winning some kind of contest. (Anyone remember Sports Authority?)

Balloon flower from Ward's grandmother. Yes, it's blooming in the middle of Lamb's Ear.

We are slowly starting to use them. We zeroed out a Domino's card and found out the store closest to us had moved several miles away. We didn't figure it out until we showed up at the old location to pick up our carryout. However, they moved in April, and I was a little surprised that we haven't ordered our pizza since then. 

Another day, we spent a Target gift card on some groceries. The card was a metal Star Wars-themed card that I think played music at one point. The young man who checked us out was totally fascinated by the card and loved it. I left the empty card with him, and he was very happy. Sometimes, it's so easy to make someone's day.

Well, my time is up. I need to go get ready for a line dance class at the gym.

Until next time...

22 comments:

  1. I'm glad you mentioned that the balloon flower was growing in the lamb's ear. I was thinking, wow, I don't remember that plant having flowers like that. :) Also, I wanted to reach through the screen and smush up the invasive bugs.

    You have gotten a lot done with sorting! Next you can come to my house and do some for me, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we lived closer, I'd be happy to help you sort. It's always easier to help with someone else's stuff. I do that with my sisters and Ward in his workshop.

      Delete
  2. Your flowers are beautiful! I really like the balloon flower.

    That's quite a bit of decluttering! I know it's not the best practice, but I think it's fun to find a gift card I had forgotten about; it's kind of like getting the gift all over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At our previous house, we had a lot of balloon flowers and I missed them here. I was happy when Ward's brother offered us a few that had belonged to their grandmother.
      Finding a forgotten gift card is like finding money in an old coat pocket--a pleasant surprise.

      Delete
  3. Hi, this has been happening for a while now, that posts are delayed, unfortunately :((
    I just go to the friends list, and that's the best way.
    Morning greetings to you from my Slovenia, Andeja!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting all the way from Slovenia, Modrina. Going to the list is a good way to handle things. I guess I would need to clean up my list since I have blogs on it that haven't posted in years.

      Delete
  4. That lantern fly looks pretty gorgeous! Bet your yard now is full of blooms and colours. Blogger can be a pain on the neck sometimes...I just noticed that the post of a gardening blogger I have been following stopped showing up since late June...and I thought the gardener was just busy in the garden, so no updates at this time of the year is normal..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lantern flies are pretty, but do a lot of damage to trees and plants, unfortunately. :(
      Blogger is free, so I guess you get what you pay for sometimes.

      Delete
  5. Yes, there have been some issues with posts not showing up on my reading list for days. I've now got into the habit of checking the blogs I read regularly, every couple of days, if no new posts show. It does take a little time to do so.
    Lovely garden photos, even if the unwanted insects have got to them.
    Well done on the decluttering! I have been decluttering my bedroom this past week or so, trying to reduce the visual clutter. Daughter decluttered the family room last week, but, we still have too many things there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that I will have to start checking blogs sites instead of waiting for them to show up if I want to keep up.
      Decluttering is like other household chores like dishes and laundry. It always needs to be done. :(

      Delete
  6. This post just showed up on my blog feed (Saturday at 3:55). I have decided I need to just go on a blog hunt daily.
    I am impressed with all you have done. I would like to say I am doing the same, at least I intend to. Not making much headway with intentions and little actions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been busy with traveling and guests. When you have some quiet time you can declutter if you want. Or not. :)

      Delete
  7. Your flowers are pretty. My butterfly bushes are flowering and full of bees, but not as many butterflies this year. I was happy to see all the familiar bumble bees back at it. I've had trouble with the reading list too and had to go back to visiting blogs by clicking on comments to go to the page. Clunky for sure. I don't know what happened. Something I did maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked online and everyone is having problems. Some say it's something about the cache. Everyone pretty much agrees that it's Bloggers problem that they need to fix.

      Delete
  8. I have the same problems. It's why I can't see your and other people I followed updates on my blogger dashboard until a day or two after they are posted. I tried to find out if there's a solution but nope. I'm not 100% sure but I think it had to with feeds as that's how we get those updates on the dashboard, right? But you're right, it's easier to complain than to take action.

    You seem good at decluttering, getting rid of things. I declutter constantly but only succeed in moving things around and then forgetting where they are.

    I get gift cards too that I really didn't want to use but sadly, I'm afraid I'll never get around to using them.

    I like that what you called balloon flower - it's like a purple star.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm just going to have to start looking on my own for updates.
      Before the balloon flower blooms, the bud looks like a balloon, thus the name.

      Delete
  9. All that decluttering has to feel good! Gift cards always seem like a nice gift, but I think we all kind of forget about them sometimes. At least the star wars card gave you more than you expected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel good to declutter and yesterday, we got everything to the donation places. Which means this part is actually complete. However, I have slowed down because I was starting to get burned out. There's only so much sorting I can do at one time.

      Delete
  10. Funny about the gift cards. We try to use them quickly so they don't get forgotten.
    Once my sister sent me one. I was surprised and touched...until I found it had 0 balance! Then I laughed...i am sure she sent the wrong card but I never told her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny about the empty gift card. I wonder if she found the one with the money on it or if it still out there waiting to be spent?

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed your post immensely. Why haven't I visited earlier? Anyway, aside from the destructive Japanese beetle, your flowers and wildlife are delightful. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. The lantern flies may be even more destructive than the Japanese beetles and so far have no natural predators. But they are very colorful.

      Delete

What do you think?