Friday, June 7, 2024

Speed Blogging Check-in

 As I often do, I am doing my morning check-in of email, fitness app, Wordle, and blogs. And sometimes, I squeeze in time to write a post. And that's what I'm doing this morning - squeezing in a post by speed blogging with a timer. My timer happens to be set at 12 minutes. So here it goes. Twelve minutes of stream of consciousness. 

We recently celebrated my FIL's 91st birthday.
Ward's family likes to play music at family gatherings.

You may (or may not) remember back in January, we started a project of going through our house room by room and decluttering. It took a couple of weeks, but we successfully touched everything in our bedroom and bathroom, reorganized, and purged what was no longer needed. Next, we moved onto the office and started with all the paperwork. And I am thrilled to report that we finally finished last week. Yay!! Double Yay! We haven't worked steadily on it for the last few months, but I was determined to finish. We shredded several big bags of paper during the process. But papers are like dishes and laundry; there are always more being generated. 

We do many things online that we used to do with paper, but paper still abounds. Someday, when I'm feeling ambitious, I will tackle all of the files on my computer, including pictures and email. But next up are the rest of the things in the office. 

However, at this time of year, the outdoors are calling. We planted more pots this week, including four big ones for our porches. My attempts at making planters have never been that successful in the past. If I make a decent-looking one, it never holds up. The plants grow at different rates, and the whole thing looks lopsided in no time. However, this time, the people at the nursery showed me groupings that you just plop into a pot and water. It helped that there were examples they had been growing for a while that looked quite good. It was cheaper buying this grouping than buying individual plants. We'll see how they do.

This was my attempt to take a picture of the first tomatoes that are forming. They are hard to see, but if you squint, you can see one above the bloom on the right.

I also planted zucchini and basil this week. None of the basil came up from last year, so I bought some plants. The zucchini was hard to find. Lots of yellow squash out there, but not zucchini. I found two scraggly plants at Walmart after visiting several stores. I really have to get coordinated next year to start it from seeds. However, the beans are up from the seeds I saved from last year. 

I harvested the last of the spinach yesterday, and the peas are ready to be picked. I hope Ward will pick peas while I'm at work today.

There goes my timer. Time to get ready for work. I have to leave early today because I am feeding my sister's cat while she's on vacation.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and gets a chance to feel the sunshine.

Until next time...

11 comments:

  1. I'm in awe of your speed blogging! I seem to take such a long time to write a blog post!
    Well done with the decluttering!
    Yay for tomatoes! I hope your planters will do well this year and all the vegetable plants will grow well, too.
    Have a wonderful day at work and hope Ward will have the peas picked when you get home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For full disclosure, I write for 12 minutes (or whatever time happens to be on the timer) and then edit, look for pictures, etc. for the next 12 minutes. However, if I have a specific topic in mind or even showing the flowers in the yard, those posts take me much longer. If someone doesn't write a blog, I think they would be surprised how long it takes to write a seemingly very simple post. I am very happy that I don't need to earn money from this endeavor. We would go hungry if I did.

      Delete
  2. Wanna come to my house to declutter and organize? ;)

    I would love your family get-togethers with the music. When I was a kid, we would go to my aunt's house (she was an accomplished pianist) for sing-a-longs. I don't find many opportunities for impromptu music these days. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, where did my reply go? Let me try again. :)
      I'd be happy to come to your house if we lived closer. It's always easier sorting someone else's stuff. I do that with my sisters sometimes.

      Ward's family usually just plays string instruments, but my nephew is a quite accomplished trombone player. It's fun to hear him join in with his "bluegrass" trombone.

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy your speed blogging posts. You got a lot written in 12 minutes.

    Congratulations on the decluttering! It does seem like paper always accumulates no matter how much you do online. It feels like we're always dealing with paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can write pretty fast if I don't think too much. :)

      Delete
  4. We need to de clutter too, where does all the stuff come from??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We moved a few years ago and got rid of massive amounts of stuff. I was amazed at how fast the stuff piled up again. I'm not sure where it all comes from, but it's hard to get rid of it.

      Delete
  5. Stopping over from Still Smiling 's post! Speedblogging is a new idea to me, but I should try it. Takes me a long time to oit together a post .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Granny Sue. Thanks for the visit. I found that I wasn't posting much because it would take me so long. So, I decided to do what I call "speed blogging" to just do something. Most of my posts still take way longer than it seems like they should, but I still do speed blogging from time to time.

      Delete
    2. Hey again! I am in Jackson county, WV. Nice to hear from another Mountaineer.

      Delete

What do you think?