Saturday, March 25, 2023

Hello

 Hello, again! Looks like I'm in a regular poster of irregular posting these days. :)

Things are busy here, but with mostly everyday stuff. We had beautiful weather this week before returning to cold and rainy. We took the opportunity to start our spring bed cleanup. I leave most old growth in the fall to protect the roots during the winter, so there's a lot of cleanup to do. However, we've had a relatively mild winter except for some single-digit temperatures in December. It's always interesting to see what comes back in the spring. I hope some mums I planted last year come back, but no signs of life yet. It felt good to be outside digging in the dirt again. And as it always seems, the yard work stretches infinitely before our eyes this time of year. But it will get done, slowly but surely. Unless it doesn't.

Our car had some problems last week with wildly varying estimates of what it would take to fix it, one from a dealer and one from a local, trusted mechanic. Luckily, the lower estimate from the local mechanic won, and the car runs well now. 

And just in time because we leave on Monday for a driving trip south to visit with family and friends. We are definitely counting our blessings that the car trouble happened before we left. We will have a two-day drive down and a two-day drive back. It's been a very long time since we've driven that far for a vacation. Usually, we would fly, but the airlines seem to be having problems now, as well as rental car prices have soared, so driving won out. We shall see how we do. Preparation for the trip is well underway, although some things can only be done at the last minute. I have to work all weekend before we leave on Monday, so we've been doing everything ahead of time we can. 

I will post along the way if I can, but internet access, time, and motivation are still to be determined during our travels.

Until next time...


8 comments:

  1. I and my husband did a big road trip last summer to visit my son. How far do you have to go? We found ideally we would drive ...i think it was 500 km a day. but we had 2500 km to go, so it was a balance between making enough distance and being able to drive safely. I hope you enjoy your trip, I like driving better than flying any day, missing the greyhound bus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I road the Greyhound bus several times when I was younger, and I don't miss it. Riding that bus through the twisty roads of the Appalachian Mountains always made me very sick. On straight roads, however, the buses were quite comfortable.

      Delete
  2. I think we are at the other end of the driving spectrum. My in-laws live 8 hours away from us and that's considered a short driving day. We have taken vacations in distant areas for the past several years. My husband doesn't like to fly (and it's convenient to have our own vehicle, especially when driving lesser-traveled roads), so we probably average 12-14 hours a day. Those are long days!!!

    Hoping you have an enjoyable trip and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never enjoyed road trips that much. That may stem from my childhood when all of the trips we took were on crooked roads, and I got carsick. I still get carsick and can't do anything like reading in the car. I'm not that fond of driving, either. However, Ward does like driving and road trips so that helps when we need to do one. 12-14 hours sounds like something we may have done in our 20's, but now we plan what is easy for us. That also gives time to explore new areas along the way.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you got your car problems taken care of before you needed to set out on your road trip! I'm not that fond of road trips, myself, as I, too, tend to get carsick unless I am driving! If I'm driving, I'm fine! The longest Greyhound bus ride I ever took was from Wisconsin to Florida - we were on that bus for 2 days and 1 night! The longest car drive I've been on was from Florida to California.
    I hope you have a lovely trip and a safe drive there and back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely relate to the carsick part. However, I am usually okay when driving. Although on really crooked roads, I have been bothered even when driving. This trip will have a lot of straight roads, so it should be fine.

      Delete
  4. Have a fun trip! Two days of driving sound tedius and maybe painful, but I bet you break it up seeing interesting things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plan is break it up with various stops depending on the weather. And we've allowed extra time in the schedule to take a detour if we see something that looks interesting.

      Delete

What do you think?