Monday, November 7, 2022

One Trick Pony

Recently, I feel my posts are like a one-trick pony, meaning I only have one thing I post about - hikes. Well, this pony hasn't learned any new tricks, so here is another post about a hike. :)

Wally arranged for us to meet him last weekend for a hike he had scoped out for us to take together near where he lived. This was another let's-enjoy-the-outdoors-while-the-temps-are-good outing. Below are some highlights.


The name Soldiers Delight was supposedly named by soldiers from Virginia who camped in the area in the late 1600s. The site is very rocky, so I'm not sure what would have been so delightful about it.


The area is also called the Serpentine Barrens because of the serpentine rocks, which produce soil unsuitable for growing many plants and trees. The ones that can grow there are unique to the area, and it has been made into a Natural Environment Area.


Chromium was discovered here in 1827 and was mined until 1850. At one point, these mines produced almost all of the chromium in the world. There are still remnants of them scattered about the area.

Much of the trail was lined with a mass of tangled greenbrier. Luckily most of it had been cut away from the actual path.


Blackjack oak sprung up here and there among the greenbrier.


After our hike and visiting the nature center, we tried a new place for lunch. Then we parted ways. Wally went home to work, and we made our way home with a stop at Aldis. 

It was an enjoyable way to spend the afternoon.

Until next time...

14 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading about your hikes, so, you may keep repeating that trick over and over again and you won't hear any complaints from me! The hikes sound like a lovely way to spend time together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to get a few more hikes in before the weather gets cold. I am not so motivated to go out when the weather is cold. I am lucky that Ward and my kids like to hike, also.

      Delete
  2. Looked like an interesting place to take a hike!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always an added bonus when there is a little history along with a walk in the woods.

      Delete
  3. Nothing wrong with being a one trick pony. At least you have some tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, you struck a memory cord from when I was a child, with one word--greenbriar. I then remembered, when I was very very little, we had a Chevy Greenbriar. I'm a one trick pony too, in my blog, just cats mostly. I love your hike photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of the Chevy Greenbrier, so I looked it up. Looks like it was a versatile vehicle. You include a fair number of outdoor outings on your blog among the cats and I always enjoy seeing where you go, too.

      Delete
  5. You and I share a love of the same trick, so keep posting away! Your posts about WV were some of the inspiration for our family to go there, so you never know what ideas you may spark. :)

    I'm pleased to hear that your son suggested a new-to-you area for hiking. It gives me hope that when my kids are fully grown, this will continue to be an activity that brings us together.

    I had to look up what chromium was used for. How wide was the circumference of the mining hole? Seems like you could twist an ankle if you stepped in the wrong place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that my son makes the effort to see us and plan an activity. Often it's a meal, but it's other things, too.
      The mining pits were around 10-12' so you would twist a lot more than an ankle if you fell in. Some of them were blocked off and others won't. I didn't quite understand what was going on with that.

      Delete
  6. You’re doing a good job of making me
    Want to visit that area of the country ~Akasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're lucky to have several nice parks in the area with easy access and good upkeep. Come visit anytime.

      Delete
  7. Looks like a real interesting place to check out! Now, on the topic of "Greenbrier" from above, this is something I am quite familiar with. During my entire time as a graduate student at the great Southern Commonwealth State University, I was the owner/possessor of a 1971 Greenbrier Station Wagon, colored dark green, formerly the family car, but "now" the hand-me-down. During my first year at the U the car did run initially, but it developed things like a "bad starter" and other sundry car ailments, that kept it mostly sidelined, often forlornly in the parking lot for the department for which I studied. Ultimately, after my graduation, the "Greenbrier" ignominiously left this world at a nearby C-burg junkyard, sold for scrap. It is a little interesting that a topic that I studied and labored for, at the same time, was also named "Greenbrier."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I was not familiar with the Greenbrier car, I do know about the Greenbrier you studied. :) The greenbrier vine was the bane of my existence during field camp in Pocahontas and Greenbrier Counties, WV. There were large growths of rhododendron that were too big to get around so you had to fight your way through them all the while getting jabbing with the greenbrier vines that grew threw them.

      Delete

What do you think?