Saturday, November 19, 2022

This and That

The first bloom ever on this Christmas cactus!

 
Winter weather has arrived with cold rain followed by freezing temperatures and wind. I am definitely a fair-weather outdoor person, so the cold weather has kept me indoors for the most part. However, earlier in the week, we did have an outdoor outing of sorts. We stopped at the Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton Shine in Emmitsburg, MD, on the way back from a funeral.

Statue of Elizabeth Seton at Shrine

Among other things, Elizabeth Seton established the Sisters of Charity of St. Joseph and a school for girls in the early 1800s. She was made a saint in 1975 and was the first native-born American to receive Roman Catholic sainthood. We only visited the outside grounds but found them peaceful even though I was cold. Maybe we'll visit in the spring and include the indoor parts of the shrine. I am not Catholic, but I appreciate the history of the site.

Last weekend, we had another outing to a concert in Virginia. Along with the Fairfax Band, four broadway performers sang various songs. Boy, you could tell those women were stage performers because they could really belt out a tune. While the show was enjoyable, the best part was hooking up with a childhood friend of Ward's who played in the band. By serendipity, we sat in the same row as his family and had a nice visit. 

Back at home, we were a little late, but we pulled everything left in the garden this week. I've spent the last couple of days processing the produce with most of it going into the freezer. More to go, but it will have to wait until tomorrow. Today, the four of us are going to have a Thanksgiving dinner. Theo got a turkey from work and wants to try a new way of cooking it. On Thanksgiving Day, we will go to my niece's house to spend it with Ward's family.

The first of four boxes of harvest. Three down and one more to go.

Otherwise, I've started to work on some Christmas projects and spent more time than I should with a cat on my lap. :)

Until next time...


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very good week, June. The first ever flower on your Christmas cactus has to be exciting! I hope it is the first of many more flowers! Looks like your garden produced a bountiful harvest! Are you getting some of that snow storm that's dumping loads of snow on New York State? The news weather forecasters said several states were being impacted.
    Enjoy your Thanksgiving meal, today, and I hope the new way of cooking the turkey works out well. I hope you and your family have a lovely Thanksgiving week. I thank you for all the wonderful informative posts you write and for all the kind and thoughtful comments you make on my blog posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments, Bless. That Christmas cactus has barely grown over the last several years, so I was especially surprised to find that bloom. It made my day. We are further south than the big snow storms, so we have only had snow flurries this weekend. Ward and Theo smoked the turkey after cutting it up and it turned out very tasty with no parts dried out. A definite win.

      Delete
  2. There's never too much time spent sitting with a cat on lap. Just my opinion. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister, who has never had a cat, was visiting the other evening, and Leo promptly took up residence on her lap. After a little while, she said she now understand when I said that I had a cat on my lap and couldn't get up. :)

      Delete
  3. Glad you got in some vitamin D before the weather kept you indoors. We had a winter storm from Thursday through Saturday night. School was cancelled on Friday so my daughter and I decided it was a prime opportunity to watch season 1 of All Creatures Great and Small on our PBS passport (we got through 4 episodes, and yes, we've seen it before, but I could watch them endlessly). Max the cat is a fan of snow days. He spent a lot of time on my lap and then went to my daughter's lap.

    I hope your Thanksgiving with your sons was great! My husband has smoked turkeys before and we really like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watched All Creatures Great and Small when it was first on and enjoyed it. Sounds like the perfect way to spend a snowy day.

      We had a great day together. Everyone had a part of the meal and we coordinated our parts in and out of the kitchen well. More than a couple of people and it got kind of crowded. And at the same time, it was fairly low-key. Next week, will be a much bigger deal. Both good in their own way.

      Delete

What do you think?