Friday, October 28, 2022

Leaves are a changin'

 

It's that time of year when the trees around are preparing for the dormancy of winter and shedding their leaves. But not without first putting on a spectacular show of color. I enjoy this change every year but am in special awe of it this year. I look around and can't believe how lucky I am to be able to experience the glorious show nature is putting on. Just like magic, there is an ever-changing beautiful scene to see. Every corny thing you can think of to describe the colors of the changing leaves I am thinking.

Fall has always been a special time. When we were kids, my sisters and I would walk around the neighborhood and collect colorful leaves. Then we'd take them home and dip them in hot wax to preserve them. That way, we could enjoy the color for months after the leaves outside were gone. 

After I left college, I lived along the Gulf Coast, where there were not four distinct seasons, and I missed the fall colors. I had one friend whose mother would mail her a box of fall leaves every year as a reminder of home in the northeast. When I moved back north, and my friend was still in the south, I also mailed her leaves because her mother had since passed away. 

Our tree, which turned a brilliant red in the fall, was lost in a storm last year. However, as I look out my windows, the neighbors' trees are more than making up for it. I am so lucky.




10 comments:

  1. That last photo is just beautiful! Picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice with all of the different colors surrounding the red in the middle. Thanks for my neighbors for having these trees. :)

      Delete
  2. Our leaves are past peak color now but the colors were especially brilliant this year.

    We ironed leaves between wax paper and hung them on windows when we were kids. I tried displaying leaves on my kitchen windowsill this year but my cat thought that they were for snacking, so we had to get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ironed them between wax paper sometimes, too. However, we found that the iron dulled the colors of some of the leaves, and the wax preserved the colors better. But it was messier.
      Our cats like leaves to eat, also. They like to eat them and then throw up. Oh, those darn cats!

      Delete
  3. Oh, those autumn leaves are so pretty! Such lovely colors! I was lucky enough to see leaves changing color when I was in Wisconsin. Here, in the L.A. area, we don't have that many trees with leaves that change color and those that do, often change color later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you probably remember what is is like when you have a whole hillside or mountain of changing leaves - so pretty. However, there was no easy place for me to take pictures of that sight.
      And you may not have trees in L.A. whose leaves change colors, but you have trees with brightly colored oranges and lemons. :)

      Delete
  4. So very pretty! I do miss the leaves changing from when we lived in Oregon and Montana. They were always so much fun to look at and even fun to rake!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think that it may depend on how many leaves you have to rake whether or not you think it is fun. :) But I will say, it was great fun when we could rake up big piles of leaves to jump into.

      Delete
  5. Wow what gorgeous color. I don't think our leaves are going to be spectacular this year but that is ok. I'll just enjoy yours through the ;pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been a good year for leaves. Never sure what combination of temperature and rain is needed, but we got it.

      Delete

What do you think?