Friday, July 22, 2022

Here's the plan

 There was some rearrangement to my work schedule this week, so I got four days off in a row. Ward and I are trying to be more purposeful about doing things other than routine chores, so we thought this would be a perfect time to take a little vacation. As we always do, we researched, discussed, and couldn't make a decision. So I decided we would do a staycation partly because many places are charging peak summer rates right now. However, we have the flexibility, so we might visit some of those places in the fall.

So anyway, Thursday was the first day of our staycation. We went a couple of hours north of us to Strasburg, Pennsylvania, to visit the Pennsylvania State Railroad Museum. We had intended to visit it when Theo lived in the area but never got around to it. But we made it happen. Afterward, we visited a local maker space I've been interested in for a while. Another thing that we made happen. You might say we're working on our mini bucket list this vacation.


The first thing we did was take a ride on the Strasburg Railroad. It was established in 1832 and is the oldest railroad operating in the US under its original charter. (BTW, this was separate from the museum.)


It was very hot, but we were in an open-air car with a decent breeze to moderate the heat.


They had different characters to entertain as we were waiting to start. This was a hobo asking for spare change.


The ride was scenic, going through forests and farmland. This area has a large Amish population and many farms.


After lunch, we visited the railroad museum.


It was a large warehouse with many full-size train cars. There were also trains outside on display, but the heat kept us inside the nicely air-conditioned, uncrowded building.


They also had an entire floor of model trains. This was part of a Lego display.


Ward and I went through the museum differently. He was very interested in the mechanics and engineering of the trains.


And I was more interested in learning about how Bisquick had its origins from a train ride by the president of General Mills.


But we both enjoyed learning about the John Stevens steam engine. John Stevens built it in 1825 for use on his New Jersey property. It was one of the first in the country and proved the practicality of steam engines for the US.


On the way home, we stopped at a library that had a new maker space. We were lucky to get a personal tour. They have different kinds of equipment, including 3-D printers, various carving and engraving tools, sewing machines, and a teaching kitchen.  And it's all free to use! Gotta love a library. This is about 1/2 hour from our house, so it's not convenient, but not that far. I think I see some Christmas presents coming from here. :)
The drive during our entire outing was on the backroads, mainly through farmland. Corn was definitely the crop of the day.


Tune in next time to see where our staycation takes us tomorrow.


10 comments:

  1. Oh, that would be up my alley! It looks so fun! The train ride would be the icing on the cake for me. The train museum sort of reminds me of the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, Michigan, although that museum has a variety of different types of transportation as well as other historic items. The neighboring Greenfield Village is a living history museum and we took rides in replicas of Model T Ford cars. That was my kid's favorite part of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Henry Ford museum sounds great and riding in a Model T would be fun. I visited a car and carriage museum in VA once and saw a lot of old cars, but none that I could take a ride in.

      Delete
  2. What a fun outing! You've shown that staycations can be fun! The last photo of the cornfield reminded me of an earlier vacation trip you and Ward took, when you went to see another train and saw some corn growing miles away from any farms and wondered how they managed to grow there! Might have been a trip you took last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good memory because I had forgotten about the out-of-place corn. That was also in PA at Horseshoe Curve which is an attraction to watch trains do switchbacks to go up a steep mountain. We took that trip last fall.

      Delete
  3. How fun with the stayvacation! Those are the best especially if you find things you haven't done before or unique things to do! That train museum sounds like a lot of fun, along with the train ride! Sorry the weather didn't totally cooperate though with it being so hot!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in an area that has plenty of things to do--things we like to do, anyway. We're trying to do a few of them that we haven't made time to do in our normal routines. The day was success all around even with the hot weather.

      Delete
  4. I forgot about Bisquick. We used to take it camping, We'd wrap the dough around hot dogs on the end of sticks and roast it into a corn dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good-pigs in a blanket with Bisquick. A perfect thing for camping. Although, I can imagine it might be hard to cook the biscuit evenly, but when I'm camping, I don't care about things like that too much.

      Delete
  5. Your staycation idea sounds great June. Sometimes I prefer a staycation. I find when I go away, I need another few days off to recuperate. That train ride looks fun. I might check it out. I don't think it's too far from where I live. Can't wait to hear where you go next on your staycation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is a time that there several train rides to take advantage of the display of fall colors. Maybe I will check into one of them-if I'm not too late. They book up fast. If I go, I'll post about it.

      Delete

What do you think?