Thursday, April 7, 2022

F is for Furniture and More

 You may remember that we had difficulty finding a place to donate old items from our kitchen because they were considered too old even though they worked well. It was disappointing, but I understood that the thrift stores we tried couldn't afford to fill their space with things that wouldn't sell. Then our contractor mentioned Second Chance in Baltimore which takes building materials, appliances, etc. and suggested we check them out. A quick call confirmed that they would accept our items for donation, so one Saturday, when Wally was visiting, he and Ward took a van full of things there. They came back with great tales of how it was much more than a thrift store. It was like a Habitat for Humanity Restore on steroids. I was fascinated by what they had seen and said I wanted to see it sometime. However, it's about an hour away in a place we don't go to, so I didn't know when that would happen. But we made it happen last weekend. 

After our afternoon with Wally, Ward and I ventured into Baltimore to go to the Second Chance Store. The Second Chance organization was started in 2001 to provide job training and jobs for people in need. As part of that, one of the things the organization does is to dismantle buildings, including mansions, which gives them quite a variety of items to sell in the store.

The store takes up an entire city block in the old warehouse district, and there are fascinating things to see everywhere you look. If it's ever been in or around a building, you could find it there. We saw conference room tables, hotel couches, stone fireplaces, antique doorknobs, lumber, tiles, paving stones, kitchens, appliances, etc. And what made it so interesting was that there were grand things that had been rescued from mansions among the mundane. When I walked in the door, I was like a ping-pong ball bouncing from one amazing thing to the next. I was too busy finding new things to examine that I didn't get many pictures, but here are a few that I did take.

You can't see from this distance, but the entire front of the building was lined with building stones, bricks, outdoor sculptures, and more.

In the vast area, we actually found one of the things we donated,
this light fixture from our dining room, now office. 


Our light was quite the contrast to these solid mahogany carved doors that were priced at $17,500. There were so many beautiful doors that had been recovered from some fancy houses.


Or how about some friezes for your building?


I had to get a picture of this left-handed school desk among the sea of right-handed ones because it took me back to my school days. As a left-hander, I appreciated having a desk like this anytime I could because they were few and far between.


We will definitely be returning to Second Chance sometime, and I will try to get more pictures of its wares then.

But wait, there's more!

F is for Food photos.

In my D post, I mentioned that I didn't get pictures of Wally and Ward's meals. Well, they hadn't loaded yet, so I found them later. So for the sake of completeness, here are more food photos. :)

Ward had a steak with grilled Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes, topped with onion rings.


Wally had shepherd's pie.




14 comments:

  1. I would probably spend hours in a store like that and come away with a carload.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If our house weren't such a mess right now, we probably would have come away with some things. We will be going back, especially if we have a project in mind.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like an awesome place! Those food pictures look great, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not that much of a window shopper, but I did enjoy browsing here.

      Delete
  3. Second Chance looks like a charitable version of Restoration Hardware. I hate waste so I am happy to see things being repurposed and reused. If we are really interested in the environment then we need to stop filling landfills and finding a use for everything old.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Landfills are definitely a problem. We can't keep shipping our waste overseas forever.

      Delete
  4. That food looks delicious!! I'm a big fan of Brussels sprouts! I remember when we were moving from San Diego to Prescott Arizona a few years back, we had a huge dining room table with chairs (sat like 12 with all the leaves in it). It was my husband's parents, who had passed on. We wanted to give it to Goodwill or the like, but they wouldn't take it for the same reason you mentioned; they weren't sure anyone would want to buy it. I put it on Craigslist and got a taker right away for it. A growing family who needed a table that size. I was glad to get rid of it that way!

    I like the concept of the Second Chance Store and wow, what treasures could be found there! I would have fun exploring there for sure!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have given away a few things on FreeCycle before. It feels good when something finds its way to someone who wants it. A table that seats 12 is bigger than average, so I'm sure that yours was a Godsend to that family.

      Delete
  5. That place looks awesome... I'd love to ramble through. Not everyone wants new, they want vintage. Love that cast iron pan holding those potatoes... yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They served several dishes in the small cast iron skillets. I saw mac and cheese in one. The skillet should help keep them hot and it can go directly from the oven to the table.

      Delete
  6. Oh my. If my wife see this she will want to move to Maryland within visiting distance of this store, Baltimore or not. We don't have anything this big around us. Lots of similar stores, but not that. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty incredible. I walked around saying that I wished I had a house to put some of things in. It will definitely be a destination when we have something in mind that we're looking for.

      Delete

What do you think?