Friday, April 8, 2022

G is for Geese

 or A Good Thought for Today


Today, I'm going to put my geese in a row and then let things happen as they may. 

I like to have a plan. I like to know what is going to happen so I can best use my time and effort. But you know what happens to best-laid plans... So when plans change, I am going to go with the flow and not get stressed about it. Because try as I might, there's only so much that is under my control.

Now a few comments on my statement for the day.

--The phrase is actually, "Get your ducks in a row," but I didn't have any pictures of ducks, so I said geese, and I also needed a G post. By the way, the rest of my family can't tell the difference between a duck and a goose no matter how many times I point out differences. Even though there are two ducks in the picture behind the row of geese, I think they would say that they were all geese. 

--I wondered where the phrase, "Get your ducks in a row," came from, and as with most of these sayings, there is more than one idea. The first is a mother duck getting her ducklings in a row behind her. Another says that it is getting bowling duckpins in a row for the next ball. You can choose, or make up your own idea for its origins.

--I tried to remember what came next after, "Best laid plans..." but I couldn't. Turns out the whole phrase is "The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry," and comes from a Robert Burns poem, To a Mouse, written in 1786. And since April is National Poetry Month, I'm including the entire poem below. Enjoy.

To a Mouse

BY ROBERT BURNS

On Turning Her Up in Her Nest with the Plough,
November, 1785

Wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim'rous beastie,
O, what a panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!
I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee,
Wi' murdering pattle!

I'm truly sorry Man's dominion
Has broken Nature's social union,
An' justifies that ill opinion
Which makes thee startle
At me, thy poor, earth-born companion
An' fellow-mortal!

I doubt na, whyles, but thou may thieve;
What then? poor beastie, thou maun live!
daimen-icker in a thrave
'S a sma' requet;
I'll get a blessin wi' the lave,
An' never miss't!

Thy wee-bit housie, too, in ruin!
Its silly wa's the win's are strewin!
An' naething, now, to big a new ane,
O' foggage green!
An' bleak December's win's ensuing,
Baith snell an' keen!

Thou saw the fields laid bare an' waste,
An' weary Winter comin fast,
An' cozie here, beneath the blast,
Thou thought to dwell,
Till crash! the cruel coulter past
Out thro' thy cell.

That wee bit heap o' leaves and stibble,
Has cost thee monie a weary nibble!
Now thou's turned out, for a' thy trouble,
But house or hald,
To thole the Winter's sleety dribble,
An' cranreuch cauld!

But Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best-laid schemes o' Mice an' Men
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

Still thou are blest, compared wi' me!
The present only toucheth thee:
But Och! I backward cast my e'e,
On prospects drear!
An' forward, tho' I cannot see,
guess an' fear!

16 comments:

  1. My husband is very good at identifying different species of ducks. Our son is in a newly-formed bird-watching group at college and we all think that's funny, since he doesn't have my husband's skill level .... but he's getting better at it and really enjoys doing it. My son's good friend started the group and our son is the VP of the group by default.

    I did know the rest of the line to "the best-laid plans ..." and even knew who wrote it, but I don't think I've ever read it in its entirety before. I think I need a translation for some of the terminology to fully understand it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only identify a couple of kinds of ducks, but I can tell them from geese. :) My sister is like your husband and is good at identifying ducks and birds in general. VP! That will look good on your son's resume.

      I found the poem hard to read because of the old Scottish dialect, but I did understand the phrase I quoted.

      Delete
  2. Wow ..never knew there's a poem behind that phrase - best laid plans going awry. So cool..i also can't spot differences between goose and duck :)

    Dropping by from a to z http://afshan-shaik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find it interesting to see where sayings come from. Sometimes the origins make sense and sometimes they don't.
      Thanks for visiting, Afshan.

      Delete
  3. Nice to know where the best laid plans phrase came from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't know the source of that phrase even though I've used it my whole life.

      Delete
  4. Oh I always get mixed up between geese and ducks... I read the difference and then I get confused!


    See you around the A-Z challenge!
    Hope you stop by my blog https://momandideas.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the same happens to my family. They understand the differences, but then can't remember them. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. We have those big geese here in Phoenix which surprised me. I thought they were migratory birds but they pretty much stay for the whole year. They like golf courses for some reason. Probably because of the lakes on the courses.

    I had not read that poem before. I enjoyed it.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geese can be a problem on golf courses. My brother-in-law used to manage one and they had to go around and remove their eggs so the population didn't get any bigger. All the geese dropping caused problems, too. However, if you don't have to worry about those things, I like geese.

      Delete
  6. "Duck, duck, goose", although in your picture, it's goose, duck in the background, goose, duck in the background, goose!
    The poem is something I learned at school, in 8th grade I believe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're funny, with your modified Duck, duck, goose... :)

      Delete
  7. Years ago when Canadian Geese were supposed to be endangered, we decided they were not, but had all just flown south one year and never returned. We are covered up with them and a day does not go by that they don't fly over the yard honking in formation going from one small lake to another.
    Though pretty creatures they are poop machines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure they migrate much any more because we see them all year here, also.

      Delete
  8. I dont think i know the difference ... But i remember a nursery rhyme Goosy Goosy Gander... gander is a male goose, i believe

    Visiting from AtoZ
    Jayashree writes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that you mention it, I remember that rhyme, also. Yes, a gander is a male goose.

    Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?