Wednesday, April 6, 2022

E is for Exercise

 With declining COVID numbers, more people are going back to the gym, me included. However, I have been away longer than during COVID--more like 30 years. I quit my last gym when the morning sickness from Theo's pregnancy was too much to work out. I have never found my way back until recently. And that was with the help of Ward. 

Ward has been a regular exerciser for years (decades, maybe), utilizing a gym at work. However, with his retirement, he no longer can use that gym, and he wanted to make sure that he had a place to take classes-his preferred way to exercise. Thus the search for a new gym. We found a local one with a lot to offer, including many classes, and he is happy with it.

Then there's me. I wouldn't call myself happy, but I never have been while exercising. However, I know it's good for me, so I'm trying a sampling of classes to see what I might like.

My first was a Zumba class that I took with Ward. While he quickly and easily caught onto the routines, I had two left feet. But I kept moving, and miracles upon miracles, I didn't run into anyone! I have since repeated that feat. 

The next class I tried was called Fit After Fifty. It was a circuit class of machines that worked all major muscle groups. We did a certain number of reps on the equipment, then everyone changed stations. Each device is resistance-based, and you can increase or decrease the amount to fit what you need. In this class, I followed behind a sweet-looking lady probably in her 80s. She looked a lot like my mother did in her last years. However, when I went to the machines she had just been on, they were too hard for me, so I had to decrease the resistance. A little embarrassing, but something to strive for when I'm in my 80s.

After that, I tried a class called Fit Camp that was listed for all levels. Well, not all levels showed up for the class. It was a group of very fit women and me. But I struggled through almost to the end when the instructor asked everyone to get a partner. I wasn't sure what was coming up, but I didn't want anyone to be saddled with me, so I ducked out. In case you can't tell, I'm still working on my self-confidence while exercising in front of others.

I also tried a yoga class which was pretty good. There are more classes I want to try including several water aerobics ones. However, my work schedule is different every day, as is the class schedule, so it will be a while before I try all of them. And it will be a while before I am in good enough shape to try some of them. 

As in most things, I need to remember that slow and steady wins the race. 

Do you belong to a gym? 


12 comments:

  1. We let our gym membership go during COVID and haven't rejoined. We both prefer walking outside for exercise. Hopefully we'll have a long stretch of decent weather and we'll be able to get outside and exercise more. You're brave to try so many classes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking is a great exercise and I walk some. But if truth be told, I don't push myself enough. I think being in a class helps with that. And weather is definitely a factor for me. I don't like the cold and tend not to go out in it if I don't have to.

      Enjoy your walking.

      Delete
  2. I also recently joined a gym and I like to use the cardio and strength machines. In normal times (not when I'm being low censused at work) my schedule is very variable so it's hard for me to attend classes with any regularity.

    Your story of following the 80 year old lady reminded me of the first time I joined a gym. It was a few months after my father died, and my mom, who lived across the state, decided to join a gym for both her physical and mental well-being. Not only did she join .... she also went regularly to a personal trainer. I decided if my mid-80s mom could join a gym, so could I! She told her trainer about me joining one and he encouraged a competitive atmosphere between the two of us, so we would compare weights and reps, especially for the leg press. She was always pretty darn close to what I could do! She was always physically strong. Thanks, June, for sparking a fun memory for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the story of exercising with your mother. Another inspiring story of what we can do in our 80s.

      Delete
  3. I used to be a gym junkie all my life...after child birth somehow the habit wasn't regular ...still was doing on and off then covid happened...gaining wt doing home exercises...training for a while...injuring...oh gosh a lot :) may b i will write a post on weight loss...

    Finally am doing yoga now. Lil peaceful and calming.


    Dropping by from a to z http://afshan-shaik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to incorporate more yoga into my routine. However, I have hyperflexible joints, so I have to be careful with it.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. I've never been to a gym. You're brave to go. I'm too shy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty shy, too, and seem to notice the other people in the class and how friendly they are before I pay attention to the actual workout. Some classes are very welcoming and some classes already have cliques established and keep to themselves. My husband says that he tries to introduce himself to one person in each class to start the process to getting to know people. A good idea that I have tried once. Can't hurt.

      Delete
  5. So true that slow and steady wins the race! Good for you for getting out there and trying the different classes! We used to belong to a gym but the equipment I used the most was either the treadmill or the elliptical machine. I usually didn't do weights and the gyms we went to had classes but never at convenient times to fit in with my work schedule. So we bought a treadmill at home which I use for 35 minutes 5 days a week :) I walk at 2.7 miles per hour pace so for those 35 minutes I walk 1.5 miles approximately. It gets the muscles moving!

    Keep up the good work with going to the gym!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed that you are consistent with your at home exercise. It's very easy for me to find something else to do, so I usually quit my home exercise before I get what I need.

      Delete
  6. Well done with joining a gym and trying out different classes! My half-sister (who turned 81, recently), goes to the gym and does Zumba and line dancing and all sorts of fun stuff; I stay home being a couch potato! I hate to exercise and it shows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like hearing about all of these 80 somethings that are so active.

      I don't really exercise, either, but I know I need to. It helps that Ward belongs even though we are interested in different classes and don't always go together.

      Delete

What do you think?