Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Ward's Questions

I have my own version of Tuesday 4 today. I let Ward ask the questions. I told him there didn't have to be a theme and they could be as simple as, "What did you have for breakfast?" Instead of general questions, he asked specific ones that he's wondering about. So you can listen in on one of our conversations here about our everyday life. 

1. What's the plan for family gatherings for Thanksgiving and Christmas?

For Christmas last year, we stayed home
and the four of us celebrated with the cats.

There is no plan yet. It's harder to coordinate with Ward's family so I asked them this question about a month ago. The answer was, "Let's wait and see what the status of the virus is." Things are complicated because not everyone is vaccinated and there are varying comfort levels with that. I think it's about time to bring the issue up again. Or we can just make our own plans without trying to coordinate with others.

2. What are we going to do with the lilac bed by the fence?

We had several lilac bushes which we enjoyed in our yard. However, one of them by a fence was always a problem. It spread like crazy and was hard to control because of the fence. We spent a lot of time trying to keep it in check without much success, so we cut it down last spring. I spent the summer trying to kill any new growth that popped up. Although there is still new growth, it has slowed down. Next, we need to dig out the stump and all of the runners - a big job for sure. Eventually, I plan to make it into an iris bed with irises I got from my aunt.

3. What are we going to do with the quince bush?


In the same part of the yard as the lilac stump, we have a quince bush. Except when it blooms in the spring, the bush is not very attractive. It has twisted growth and invasive vines growing through it. Ward wants it gone. However, I say one bush removal at a time. Next spring, the plan is to take a chain saw and severely trim the bush. Hopefully, we can control it better when it is smaller, If that doesn't work, we will remove it and replace it with something else. 

4. What's your vision of retirement?

Ward has been talking about retiring for years and he's going to pull the plug soon. The finances are in order and he's working out the details now. I, on the other hand, got a new position at the library just before the pandemic hit and I haven't had a chance to fully realize all of its potentials because of COVID restrictions. I plan to stay awhile because of this, not to mention the fact that I provide health insurance for us. So my actual vision of retirement is fuzzy because I don't plan to retire anytime soon. However, I am looking forward to more flexibility in Ward's schedule when he retires.

So there you have it. A few of the many things under discussion at our house.

Until next time...


10 comments:

  1. Ward has very practical questions! We have been debating the extended family holiday schedule. It's complicated because my son is in college 5 hours north of us and my husband's parents live 8 hours south of us. We typically have gone to his parent's over Thanksgiving and combined that holiday and Christmas but that no longer is practical, so we have identified a date in December. Meanwhile, on my side of the family, discussion is ensuing in regards to our family Christmas celebration. Not sure how that will work out.

    In our yard, my husband *finally* removed the metal swing set that I have wanted gone for several years now. He took it down today. My niece is sad about it, since she brought her little ones over during the summer to play .... but it was taking up lots of room in our yard and was becoming an eyesore. Seems like we are all tending to our yards before the snow hits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planning has never been a strength in Ward's family, but COVID has made it even more complicated. We shall see what happens.

      I bet your backyard seems a lot different with the swing set gone. Do you have any new plans for it?

      Delete
    2. No plans. It was in a central area so grass will be fine. Having it gone gives my kids more options for setting up the badminton net and croquet set.

      Delete
    3. Croquet can be played around all kinds of obstacles, but not badminton, so much. It should like the new space will be well used.

      After considering many options, we decided to just sow grass in the bare spot in our yard that used to have the big tree.

      Delete
  2. The Quince should go, I agree on that, but I'm kind of torn on the lilac killing. i love lilac bushes. I never have holiday plans so I don't have to think about that one at least. Except a neighbor wants me to babysit her dog while she goes on a Christmas vacation with her family. So I guess I have some dog sitting plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have five other lilacs, so I didn't mind getting rid of this one - especially since it has been causing so much aggravation. I think it depends on the variety, but this one spread like crazy.

      Delete
  3. Quince is just gorgeous when. it blooms. I hope it can be tamed!
    The retirement discussion is starting to happen here. I hope it is sooner rather than later but I don't think it will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Ward first started talking about retiring, I was panicked when I thought out his salary stopping. However, I've been shown the numbers several times and we should be okay with our savings. It will be a big adjustment on all fronts, but good.

      The quince is very pretty when it blooms, but it's not a pretty bush. You, BTW, were the one who identified the quince bush for me in a comment a few years ago. I was not familiar with them.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for allowing us to eavesdrop on your conversations! I enjoyed the questions as much as the answers! One of my cousins asked me about my plans for Thanksgiving and Christmas and I told her that I don't plan on attending any family gatherings this year, either! Daughter and I will celebrate on our own. I will, however, take Christmas gifts to family and friends and drop them off. Sounds like you will be busy in the garden! Keeping trees and bushes under control requires a lot of pruning, doesn't it? Planning for retirement is exciting! I worked a few years longer than I had planned to, but, I knew when the time was right for me to retire! It's been 3 years, already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way you and your friends and neighbors exchange things, it's like Christmas all year at your house. I'm sure you and your daughter will have a good time celebrating as well as be more comfortable celebrating alone.

      Time flies, doesn't it? It's hard to believe that it's been three years since you've retired.

      Delete

What do you think?