Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Tuesday 4- The Wild West

Time for the Tuesday 4. This week is about the Wild West. Join me if you'd like. 

Before we get to the main questions, I have an aside story.  I'm not sure how it came up, but I asked one of the young shelvers at work if she knew what a Western was. And she said, "In what context?" Of course, all of the older people immediately thought of the entertainment that was so popular years ago. I was surprised by her answer and decided to go home and ask my kids if they knew what a Western was. I was sure they would know because they read a lot and the reruns were all over TV. However, their response was identical, "In what context?"  Westerns are supposedly making a comeback, so I wonder if I would get the same response now, a couple of years later?

1. Do you have a favorite TV western you enjoyed? Tell us about it.

I definitely grew up when Westerns were a big thing. However, I didn't watch many at the time because we could only get one TV channel-CBS. The only one I saw was Gunsmoke which we watched every Monday night as a family. BTW, It was during that show that I realized that the big action scenes always occurred 10 minutes before the end of a show. I have seen many other Westerns since then in reruns as well as listened to reruns of Gunsmoke when it was a radio show. 

2. Lots of western movies... which was one you enjoyed?

Theo ready for the Rodeo.

 The only one I can think of was True Grit from 1969. I haven't watched it since then, but I do remember thinking that Glen Campbell was not a very good actor. However, I did enjoy the movie.

3. John Wayne was in many westerns and had many fans. What actor is your favorite? 

Uncle Billy loves John Wayne and his movies and will watch one every time he sees one on TV. Me, I'm not sure I have a favorite unless you count Chuck Connors because he reminds me of my father.

4. You are going to have to move to a western state that has cowboys! Which state will you choose and why?

That's a hard question. Without considering political climate, tax structure, etc., I would say Utah because besides the beautiful scenery, it is not as hot and dry as the southwest. I find after a few days in an arid area, my eyes crave green. However, I have really enjoyed every state that I have visited in the west.

I lived in Texas for 10 years where there are still many present day cowboys. Houston, where we lived, hosted a huge two week rodeo every year. Besides big rodeo events and concerts, people all over the state did a "trail ride" into town for it. The park where they met was close to our house and I would take the kids to watch the horses and wagons roll in (as well as their campers and tailors). The cowboys and cowgirls would be dressed in their finest western wear and the ladies all had the famous "big Texan hair". It was a very fun time.


6 comments:

  1. So I must qualify as old since I don't know what other context besides tv and movies is considered a"western". Can you please enlighten me?

    I have vague memories of Bonanza on tv but it wasn't really my thing. I was more interested in Little House on the Prairie.

    The only time I have been in Utah was in the southeastern part of it, which was definitely a desert landscape. My husband has fantasies of moving out west. Wyoming is a contender but like you said, there are a lot of factors to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really sure. How about Western Civilization? Western Union? Western Cooking? I'll have to ask.

    I don't really know that much about Utah, but I think that was the last western state we visited so that is probably why I though of it. Or was in New Mexico? And I do know we took some very hot hikes in the deserts of Nevada on one trip. I don't care that it was dry heat, it was hot! Which all of this means, there are pluses and minuses to every state and I have no idea of where I would move. Maybe I didn't have to answer the question because I have already lived in a state with cowboys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting answer from the young people. :) I've no favorite TV western or movies, but, I used to read a lot of Zane Grey novels when I was a teen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should try a Zane Grey novel. We have some in the library although the Western section is very small.

      Delete
  4. I did not like westerns particularly.
    We had one black and white TV and got 3 channels. NBC, ABC/CBS hybrid channel, and PBS (before it was PBS when we just called it public tv) Mom liked to watch Wagon Train so by default I watched it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the theme song to Wagon Train.

      Times have changed. With only one channel, we seemed to have plenty to watch. Now with hundreds of channels, it's hard to find something. Either the programming has gotten worse or we have gotten more picky.

      Delete

What do you think?