Friday, June 25, 2021

This and That

Ward built new flower boxes for the porch. He put rails on the bottom so they can't fall off the railing.
 

We're keeping busy here with nothing special--just the daily happenings of every day life. 

Work has been very busy. People are finally allowed back in the library and they are coming in droves. Well, maybe not droves, but enough to keep us hopping. It can be frazzling at times, but it gives me more opportunity to learn new things. And speaking of books, my entire book club is going to meet in person here next month. It's the first time that we've all been together in over a year because we've been meeting virtually. 

Also, we continue to work on plans for a kitchen remodel. It's a very long process. Right now, we're tweaking the final layout and looking at tiles, countertops, etc. We have been shopping on and off for several months for appliances, and hopefully, are going to purchase those during the current 4th of July sale. If you want to coordinate the look of your appliances, you need to buy the same brand. However, no one brand has a great product across the line. One has a very good dishwasher, but the range has problems. Another has a good dishwasher, but the fridge is awkward to use, and so on.  This had made the decision making process more complicated than I like. Oh, well. It may take several months for the appliances to come in, but that's okay, because it will be many months before our cabinets are built. The plan now is to just accumulate stuff in our basement and when most of it is here, the contractor will start work. There's no way to coordinate all of the materials at this point because of the supply problems that still exist due to COVID. Maybe the price of lumber will be down by the time they start construction. 

A sampling of a harvest one day. For the first time, I dried the carrots tops to be used like parsley.

The garden is doing okay. We're done with radishes and peas now and about done with broccoli and cabbage. The weather is getting too warm for them, not to mention the worms that are devouring them. There's only a little lettuce left because it's too hot for it, also.  We got enough cherries from our tree for a pie, but that's all. However, that's more than last year when we didn't get any before a mold infected them. We also have green tomatoes and blossoms on the, peppers, cucumbers and zucchini. The onions are growing slowly and there are a few more beets and carrots to be harvested. Our garden beds are a drop in an bucket compared to what I grew up with, but they keep us entertained with the added benefit of fresh vegetables.

If I ever want to get this posted, I should stop now. So I will. Until next time...


14 comments:

  1. Everyone is doing so well with their gardens this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, the weather has been cooperating so far this year with the garden. I hope it continues.

      Delete
  2. I got a box of cherries from a friends' tree and made a pie. However just as I was preheating the oven to bake it, the bake element in the oven shorted out in spectacular fashion. I've had one on order now two and a half weeks, maybe three, but like you say, supply chain and delivery woes. But its hot, who needs an oven when its too hot to even eat. I baked the pie in the microwave and it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never baked a pie in the microwave. Did it make the crust tough like it does with bread? I may have to try that.

      Delete
  3. I love the flower boxes and what a beautiful little harvest too. I all goes well with the kitchen remodel. Have a nice weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy with how the flower boxes turned out. I would like some more, but my husband has other things to do, so I am content with these for now. Hope you have a nice weekend as well, Martha.

      Delete
  4. Your deck is so pretty! I'm heading over for iced tea. :)

    You do have a lot going on! Never a dull moment. I've wondered about what you said about matching appliances and I don't envy your decision. I like things to look nice but in a kitchen, ultimately, I want things to work well. I hope you don't have a delay in getting your appliances (or anything else). My niece and her family recently built a house and they had to move in without kitchen appliances due to the backup in ordering. I think they bought a small fridge for day-to-day use and cooked with an air fryer.

    Hubby and kids picked copious amounts of cherries today, both sweet and sour. They got rained on due to our never-ending monsoon but they seemed to have weathered the experience well, and yes, the pun was intended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually just bought our appliances this morning. It will take a couple of months for them to come in, but we don't have to take delivery yet. I'm not sure how it's all going to get coordinated, but we have several options. The interesting part will be applying for the rebates before we get our appliances because we need to get the serial numbers off them. The salesperson assured us that we would be able to get an extension. We shall see. The lucky thing is that we have a functioning kitchen with some back up options so we shouldn't end up in the situation that your niece found herself in.

      Delete
  5. Love fresh food from the garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. Everything is sweeter when it has been just picked.

      Delete
  6. Your flower boxes are beautiful and that's a nice looking harvest, too. :) Glad you purchased your appliances and hope they come in sooner than later! How exciting to have a whole new kitchen!

    Our libraries have opened, too, for in person visits which may last up to one hour, to browse the shelves, borrow books, check out items that have been reserved, etc., and you may reserve the use of a computer, too. I haven't used the library, yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pulled up all of the cabbage, broccoli, etc. this morning and planted some basil in the spaces that a neighbor gave me. However, it's very humid and hot today, so that's it for outside today until the sun goes down.

      Delete
  7. I thought is was funny when you talked about a cohesive look using the same brand of appliances. It had never even crossed my mind. I just choose the same finishes and hope for the best I guess because all of mine are from different makers.
    Your deck is just lovely and I am with Kris and will be over for some iced tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have never coordinated appliances before, but since they are all being replaced at the same time, we're going for a more cohesive look. Of course, we wouldn't get something that wouldn't work for us just to have it look right.

      We are really enjoying our porch. It is working out just the way we had hoped.

      Delete

What do you think?