Monday, August 8, 2016

House Changes--Part 1


Plans


Ward and I are pretty good about making long term plans, not the best but pretty good--especially if the stats I hear in the news these days are true. Most Americans aren't ready for next month let alone retirement, but we're in reasonable shape.

We have always put maximum into our retirement plans and lived below our means. This was whether we had two jobs, one job, a good job, or a mediocre job. This has allowed us to mostly live debt free.

We're now in our late 50's and retirement is becoming very real--particularly for Ward who has talked about retiring for a few years now. So besides making sure our finances are in order (a trip to the financial planner recently confirmed this), we have been talking about what we want to do, where we want to live, etc. And the conclusion has been, that we want to stay in the area we are in to be close to the family here.

However, what we do want to change is the house that we live in. We want to get a house where we can age comfortably in place. And that mostly means, no steps. We have watched our parents age in houses that were not good for this and the subsequent problems that occurred. So while we love many things about where we live now (just look at the Second Looks to get an idea), three level living with a two acre lot to take care of is not the way we want to do things in the future. And this is a change we want to make before we need to, so it is not made in a pressured situation as we have seen both sets of our parents deal with.

So you can probably guess where this is going. We're in the process of house hunting, etc. This was what I eluded to in another post when I said I was pretty busy these days. I will be chronicling here, some of this process.

So, until next time...

17 comments:

  1. Ooooo... how exciting! I think it's a fabulous idea to find a more practical home as our circumstances change. Have fun looking, and I hope you find the perfect place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there's no such thing as a perfect place and we know that compromises will have to be made. But we've made our check list about what we think is important in our next house. Stay tuned.

      Delete
  2. You and Ward are very wise to be making this move now, at this stage of your lives. If I can be annoying and add my 2 cents in ... at work, I assess barriers my patients may encounter. You are spot on in looking for a home with few or no steps. Laundry on the main level is a good plan. A walk-in shower (a reasonably sized one, not a little cubicle) is another thing to look for. The other stuff (grab bars, handicap height toilet) you can add if/when you need them, but those 3 items will make a world of difference to you. Sounds like a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All very good suggestions especially since they agree with what we already were looking for. Butt in anytime. I value your advice.

      Delete
  3. Maybe we can see you on HouseHunters! Since you have gone through a similar process I am going through with Mom, you know all too well the things that are facing us as we age. I figure we have about 3 more years n this house and then it is size down and move on time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. House hunters might be fun. I have heard that sometimes they already get someone in the process of buying a house, or just bought one and stage some of the early parts of the show. We could qualify that way.

      Delete
  4. Best of luck with your house hunt. Hubby and I are mid-50's and he has already taken early retirement. I'm next, in a couple of years. I think we are in pretty good shape. We don't have many steps, just a few on the porch and deck, and everything is on one level inside and less than an acre of flat property to care for.

    Yvonne in WV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First I thought, "Flat property in WV!! That's pretty rare" Then I remembered where you live and that was a possibility there. Good luck with your retirement. Do you have plans for a second career?

      Delete
    2. No way! Well, I may change my mind after a while, haven't thought about it. I really am tired of working and just want to be able to work in the yard and maybe actually have a garden - if we can keep the deer out of it. Yes, this particular piece of property we have is flat, but there are plenty of hills surrounding us!

      Delete
  5. When you find that single level home please let me know! We are either staying here or moving south. We haven't decided, but know that we will definitely not be living in the house we are in. Downsizing is VERY appealing as we age. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Single level homes are not too abundant in this area, so you might have a problem when and if you start looking around here.

      Delete
  6. Hope you find a great house. My other brother wants to retire and they want to drastically downsize for the same reason, looking to the future. They just want a simple small place, no big yard upkeep or anything. I hope they find what they want and I hope you do also. I think its a great idea and salute you for your wise living and planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Strayer. Good luck to your brother and his plans.

      Delete
  7. I am sure you will miss many things about your current home and I know there is a little girl next door that will miss her time with you a lot but I think you are very smart to be doing this now before you actually need the one floor home. My move two years ago wasn't very hard as I had downsized to such a small home but being in a chair made the move dependent on family and good friends to help on each end while I did nothing more than direct which room to put things then set about unpacking. I hate being a spectator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am already worrying about the girl next door. As you know, I don't think she's in the best of circumstances. But I'm sure that I will find someone else who can use my help. Who knew that you were going to find the boys next door when you did your move?

      Delete
    2. I'm sure you are worrying about her and for good reason but don't let that hold you back from doing what you need to do for yourself. Maybe you'll find a new home close by and will be able to visit with her from time to time just to know she's okay. I bet you will find some new person after your move to connect and share time with.

      Delete
    3. Good words of advice, Lois. Thanks.

      Delete

What do you think?