Sunday, April 7, 2013

Thankful Sunday, April 7, 2013

I am thankful for comforting things.



Last Monday, my father passed away. Through my sadness, this week I was comforted by many things.

I was comforted that my father was able to live a good, long life before he passed away.

I was comforted by all of my family around me.

I was comforted by the ample food that the neighbors brought to feed us.

I was comforted when I made arrangements for my father with people who knew him and respected him.

I was comforted by the stories that were told to me by my father's friends.

I was comforted by the kind words from friends in both my face-to-face world and in my blog world.

I was comforted by the words, "The good Lord gave us tears for a reason. It would be a shame not to use them when you need them."

And I was comforted when I arrived back home to see daffodils blooming and knew that the promise of spring was indeed here.


10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you've got a good support network around you at this time. Still thinking of you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in a small town where my mother still lives. It was so nice to do business there. When my sister was working on some papers at the court house, the county clerk walked across the street where my mother was at the eye doctor, so she could sign some papers and not have to come in later. We're counting on that kind of continued support since we have all returned home and my mother is alone now.

      Delete
  2. There is comfort in talking about the loved one who has passed away. When each of my parents passed away, I found comfort in hearing other people's stories of their time with them. I know that I couldn't possibly forget my parents, but it is comforting to know that other people will remember them with love, too.
    Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that it feels good to hear others tell stories of your loved one because it makes you feel that they were important to someone else besides your family.

      Delete
  3. I'm so so sorry for your loss!! I will keep you in my prayers and sending a lot of hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind and supportive thoughts and prayers.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry you had to go through all you did, but I'm also happy that you found some happiness through your sorrow when you spotted your daffodils. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is complicated. It's never all one thing or another if we take time to look. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  5. I'm really glad you have a good support network and friends around. I've been thinking about you and will continue to do so. Best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And my good support network includes my friends from the blog world. I appreciate each and everyone of you.

      Delete

What do you think?