Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Directions

This is not the sign I wanted to see.

I am directionally challenged. Turn me around in a hallway, and I'm confused. If I get lost in a neighborhood and eventually find my way out, I don't know which way to go next time because it all looks familiar. I have to really concentrate and notice landmarks to remember where I parked. Years ago, when I was doing an IQ test with a psychologist, there was one part where I had to build blocks to match a diagram. I thought I was putting them together well. Then when we discussed the results, he said, "You really had a problem with the block part, didn't you?" meaning that spatial reasoning is not my strength. That test proved what I already knew -  that I'm not naturally gifted in knowing where I am in space. 

Also, I think being left-handed has not helped with my directionally-challenged tendencies. Even though I was not forced to switch the hand that I wrote with like they did in the past, all of the instructions in school were given for right-handers, with teachers even saying, "Using your right hand..." In fact, one of my left-handed classmates didn't know her left hand wasn't her right hand until she was in third grade because of this. I know which is my right hand and which is my left hand, but if you ask me to hold up my right hand, there is a 50-50 chance that I will get it correct unless I think about it. 

Ward is the exact opposite. He has excellent spatial reasoning, and he always knows which direction he is going. He uses some external clues, like where the sun is in the sky, but he also just has a sense. So it's great when we travel together. I can relax and not worry too much about getting lost. But I'm not always with him, so I was thrilled when I got a GPS several years ago for my car. What a difference that made in my life. But occasionally, it will lead me astray, too. When that happens, I just hope that I have enough gas in my car to be able to find my way back to where I want to go. Or that Ward is with me. :)

Until next time...


9 comments:

  1. I become very confused if I'm told to go north, or south, or west, or east when being given driving directions; I need to be told, turn left or right (or go straight). And if I miss my turn, then, I get really confused! I apparently have a navigation app on my phone, but, I haven't used it yet! I used to have a Thomas Brothers map book, but, it got outdated and I tossed it. I should get a new one and keep in the car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worrying about traffic zooming around me while worrying about where my next turn is is stressful. That's why the GPS is so useful for me. We occasionally use the app on our phones, but that uses up data and battery, so we go with just the GPS most of the time. I still have old map books in the car and use them occasionally, but that's more when I've the navigator than the driver.

      Delete
  2. I love the sign. I have a picture of a sign we saw in nowheresville WY that says "travel at your own risk".

    I'm also not great with directional skills. One of the things that the PTs do with patients is wayfinding, where they ask them to find their way back to their room from wherever they have walked. I can't do that when I'm feeling well, much less when I'm sick, so I know I would flunk that test. I'm better with finding my way outdoors than inside, as there are more visual points of reference. I also find that when I hear directions, I can't seem to retain them in my mind, but when I see it on a map, I have a better understanding of where I am. Because of that, I've almost never used GPS (that, and I've seen it lead people the wrong way often enough that I'm suspicious of it) and instead rely on written maps and directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were "exploring" on our way back from a hike and found that sign. I guess there's been a problem before. I would definitely fail the PT test. I hope I never have to take it. :)

      Delete
  3. Google maps will initially say, "go east on...", when I have no idea which way streets run. I did when I lived ten miles away in a different town, because their streets ran north south east west, generally, but Albany they're every which way and nothing runs in real directions. So I still get confused in this town. Once I've driven myself somewhere once I can find it again, but if I"m not doing the driving, I pay no attention usually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never lived anywhere that had a north/south east/west pattern to the roads. Maybe that would help me. You go enough places rescuing cats you need to have some sense of direction or you would be lost all the time.

      Delete
  4. Am also like this when it comes to directions. Can't imagine my life without GPS and am not lefty :)
    Hope u remember me from a toz

    My best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afshan, glad to hear from you again. I guess there are more people out there who have a hard time with directions than I realized.

      Delete
  5. June I think we're two peas in a pod. I'm terrible with directions even when I had got a GPS. I think my GPS got me most lost than I did on my own. I'm a little better with my google maps app on my phone. But once in a while I still have doubts about where i'm going.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?