Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Tuesday 4, Names

This week the Tuesday 4 asks questions about your name. Join me if you'd like.

Answering these questions may be a challenge since I only use aliases on this blog. However, I'll give it a go, having my actual name in mind, and see what I can do without revealing it. :)

My grandmother, Yula Ombra.
 1. What name would you take if you had to change your name?  That's a hard one. I won't say that I have ever loved my name, but it works, and I don't know that I would want to change it. However, a couple of names come to mind that I have liked. The first is Maria. I just like the sound of it. Next, is Ombra, which was my grandmother's middle name. Also, I like Leannah which was Ward's grandmother's name.

2.  What is the meaning of your name.. how about your last name, do you know it's meaning?  There are several variations on the origins and meanings of both my first, middle, and last name. But basically I am a joyful sheep who brings peace in the form of a bird.

3. Do you think you fit your name and it's meaning? Your guess is as good as mine. :)

4. Were you named after anyone or given your name for a specific reason?  How about your kids? I was named after a neighbor, so the story goes. I was the third child after two girls and my parents were sure they were having a boy. So much so, that they didn't even have a girl's name picked out. After about a week, they were told that they had to pick a name or my birth certificate would say "Baby." So, they decided to name me after a neighbor and friend whom they liked. Many years later, it was an honor to meet her.

My kids both have the middle name of my last name, which BTW, I didn't change when I got married. In my generation, my surname is not continuing, so I am honoring it in that way. Not only do my kids have the same middle name, all of their cousins have it, too. My sisters and I all used our surname as our kids' middle names. And, oh, speaking of sisters, when my parents had their fourth baby, they had given up on having a boy and didn't even have a boy's name picked out which worked out just fine because they had another girl.

Until next time...


6 comments:

  1. Names are tricky. I remember being pregnant and awake in the middle of the night. I would go through the baby name book and write down possible contenders. In the light of day, some of my 2a.m. choices looked pretty strange!

    None of the family names on either side were anything I wanted for my daughter. My mom told me "don't you dare name your daughter after me!". I ended up using my first name for her middle name, and my husband's first name is my son's middle name. It was so hard to come up with an acceptable first name that we took an easy out for the middle. I like how you used your surname for your sons. That's a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean how one day the names sound good and the next day they don't. I had some names I really liked for boys until I took the time to say them with their last name, then not so much. I have a friend who from the moment she was pregnant, the baby was going to be Frank, Jr. Then when he was born, they decided he looked like a Galen and named him that. We were shocked. They had never once mentioned Galen as a contender.

      Delete
  2. This is all so interesting! Your grandmother's name seems very unusual to me and how lovely that you have a picture of her as a little girl! Names are special, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my grandmother's name is unusual, too. I just did a little googling and first-name.net says there were 13 people born in 1903 (the year of her birth) who were named Yula. Ombra didn't show up at all. However, birth records are spotty that early, so who knows what the real numbers are. However, I think we can safely conclude that she didn't go to school with anyone else with that name.

      Delete
  3. I was once going to change my name to Annie Waters, for some reason. I am saying that to the joyful sheep who brings peace in the form of a bird (dead or alive bird?). Lol. That cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the name Annie a lot. I never had a girl to give the name to, so I did the next best thing - I named one of my cats that. :)

      Good question about the bird. I assume that the raven was alive, but you've opened up a whole new set of images. :)

      Delete

What do you think?