Monday, December 20, 2021

Christmas is coming...

"Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat..." Or at least someone is getting fat with the abundance of holiday goodies.  That song is one of my Christmas earworms - and I don't mind it. :) 

A poinsettia from last year is blooming. Yay!
They usually don't make it to the next year, let alone bloom.

Things are falling into place here as far as Christmas preparations.

--the decorating is done both inside and out (except for a couple of bows I want to add to flower pots), 

--the cards are written and mailed (except for a few local ones)

--the baking is done (except for Christmas dinner bread and desserts), 

--the gifts are done and wrapped (except for the dog bones I want to get for my sister's dogs), 

--the gifts for coworkers and neighbors have been delivered (except for the one for the neighbor who never seems to be home),

--the details of family visits have been ironed out with some family joining us for Christmas Eve (except for the email I just got proposing an extended family outdoor gathering Christmas afternoon), 

--the favorite Christmas shows have been watched, (except White Christmas), 

--big light displays have been visited (except for one we just heard about this past weekend), 

--so to say it another way, Christmas plans are going well (except for the ones that aren't.)

How are things at your house?

10 comments:

  1. We are driving to my in-laws as I type this. We're in good shape overall. We return home the evening of the 23rd and then I have to get going the next morning to make cinnamon rolls for Christmas day and mini cheesecakes for a family Christmas eve gathering, so I anticipate that will be a busy day. I had my kids clean house yesterday so that we return with minimal chores to do although I will need to catch up on laundry. The gifts are wrapped, husband makes Christmas dinner, so I think I'm in a good place. What doesn't get done will just be ignored!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you will get to see your in-laws and I'm sure they will enjoy seeing everyone especially their grandkids. After I wrote this post, I got another call that more people are coming to dinner. We can handle it, but now we have to rethink amounts and where we will be able to seat everyone. It's not easy for me to be involved with a family of last-minute planners. You would think I would get used to it after decades of practice, but I still have work to do in that area. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh goodness. I suppose that at least you got a little bit of a heads up but that can be a challenge. I would be more stressed about having to do more grocery shopping. I avoid the stores as much as possible the week before Christmas! Good luck! I'm sure it will work out fine and in the end you will remember the fun you had together, but I would be having a brain freeze right now if I were you.

      Delete
    3. Also, all of the plans are affected by vaccinated vs. the unvaccinated, not always a calm situation. And an unwelcome one. But it will all be okay, she says trying to make the best of it.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are doing well with your preparations and it's good that you are able to accommodate extra guests at the last minute! I come from a family of last minute planners, myself, and it can be frustrating. As for things at my house, things have been started, but, not quite finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are trying to figure out where we are going to seat everyone because the table we have won't accommodate the new numbers. For the food, we will just double the sizes of some of the dishes. I think the ham we have is big enough.

      Slow and steady wins the race, so I'm sure you have your holiday preparations done in time. You have a good start already.

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas my friend.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny, the exceptions to each item on the list. I have no plans for Christmas at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think watching a movie or reading a book while snuggling with cats sounds just right. While it is very nice to have family around, things get pretty complicated when your are trying coordinate more that a couple of people.

      Delete

What do you think?