Monday, December 28, 2020

From the Files: Tree Bark

Today is a nice day with temperatures in the 40's and no rain - a good day for a walk in the woods. I find the woods beautiful this time of year with the varied silhouettes of the leafless trees. However, I never noticed much about actual details of the bark and branches until a few years ago. Below is a post I did a five years ago looking at the bark of trees in my yard. 

I better get going if I'm going to take advantage of the weather and do some bark examination. 

Until next time.

__________________________________


A Second Look--January 21, 2015

When Aunt Martha was in college, she was studying to be a naturalist. One day I overheard her talking to a classmate about identifying trees in the winter and using the feel and look of their bark to help with that. My ears perked up because that was a new concept for me. I thought that all bark looked basically the same--gray/brown and rough. At least it did until I took a Second Look. And by golly, there were a lot of differences. However over the years, I still haven't paid much any attention to trees and their bark.  So decades later during these gray days, I thought it was time to take a Second Look at some of the trees in my yard.

Here are some trees and their bark that 
I saw this week  during a Second Look.

Dogwood


Holly


Oak


Juniper

Silver Maple


Pine


Theodore did the bark investigation with me and took some of the pictures.






8 comments:

  1. One of the museums in our area has a display with different kinds of bark which you can identify. You would think that growing up in the woods like I did, I would be good at it, but nope, not the case. I think some people are just better at noticing those kinds of details. It is interesting how varied different trees can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the variability very interesting. I remember when I did this post, I really enjoyed it because it was the first time I had done any real observations on my own about tree barks.

      Delete
  2. What a fun post! You had a nice variety of trees to observe! I would find it very hard to identify most trees by their bark, other than eucalyptus and white birch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to identify all of the trees because I saw them in the summer with their leaves. While I know a few barks now, I still am not that good at identification. I think I could get a birch also, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a eucalyptus tree, so I have no idea what that bark looks like.

      Delete
  3. I have never thought of identifying a tree by its bark. Now I am going to have to go exploring in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it an eye opening experience. There's so much out there that I have noticed.

      Delete
  4. I hope you enjoyed a lovely walk yesterday, Live and Learn. It was cold but dry this afternoon, so three of us took a long walk in our area. Without the flowers and leaves to distract, I find I really see what remains in winter.
    Is that your former house that I spied in your photos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that was my former house. I was thinking I should do the same thing in this yard. We don't have as many trees, but we do have some different ones. But it was cold and windy, so I decided to find something inside to do instead. :)

      Delete

What do you think?