Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Christmas Disappointments

 or a Look into Christmases Past with Kris

Kris is a friend to many of us as she is frequent and interesting commenter on our blogs. Today she is my guest blogger sharing with us some of her Christmas presents from the past that didn't work out quite the way everyone had planned. Take it away, Kris.

___________________________________________

Christmas Disappointments
 
Hi, I'm Kris, one of June's long-term readers.  I had suggested to her that she could write about a disappointment she experienced at Christmas and somehow that evolved into my making a guest appearance on her blog. 
 
Childhood disappointment:  I was very young, probably around four years old, when I saw a toy on tv that I had to have.  She was called Tumblin' Tomboy and she was a beautiful blond doll who could do acrobatic somersaults.  I was fascinated and she went on my Christmas list.  On Christmas morning, amid the flurry of wrapping paper, I opened the pinnacle of gifts.  Yes, Tumblin' Tomboy was mine.  My parents added the batteries and she performed her first tumbles successfully.  I was ecstatic.  The second time, however, things didn't go so well.  By the third attempt at a tumble, she clearly wasn't performing like she did on tv.  No matter what my dad (who could fix almost anything, or so it seemed to me) did, she remained without any tumbles.  I don't remember what ultimately happened to her but my Christmas dreams suffered from technical difficulties.
     
My mom's disappointment:  I was probably around 8 or 9 when I decided that I really wanted a Lite-Brite for Christmas.  On my list it went.  I didn't really think much more about it until one day when I came home from school.  On our mailbox was a box, and not just any box.  No, this was a giant-sized box that said "Lite-Brite" on it.  I brought it, as well as the rest of the mail, into the house, grinning from ear to ear.  "Look what was on the mailbox, mom!" I called.  "What?????  I can't believe the mailman left it there.  Well, you're not getting it until Christmas".  While I know my mom was disappointed that the surprise was spoiled, it didn't ruin the pleasure for me.  In fact, I still have it, and my daughter and I have had fun with it in the recent past. 
     
Averted disappointment:  In my teen years, I was poking around in my mom's closet, looking for cleaning rags, when I uncovered a purse.  This was a leather purse that I hadn't seen my mother using.  I suddenly realized that the purse was meant for me for Christmas.  I quickly covered it up, and although it was inadvertent, I felt guilty for discovering it.  I knew how disappointed my mother would be if she knew I found a gift, so I never told her about my discovery.  I received a nice purse and my mom was pleased to give it to me.  Sometimes silence is the best response. 
 
The first two stories have made it into family lore.  What seems disappointing at the time can seem funny in later years.  Have you had any disappointments during the holiday season?  Please join me in sharing your memories.  Thanks for reading and thank you, June, for the opportunity to write. 

________________________________________________        

That was fun, Kris, and you've given me an idea for another post about how my mother kept us from finding out what we were getting for Christmas. Thanks for sharing and you're welcome here anytime. 

11 comments:

  1. Silence is the best response in many circumstances. I wonder if your mother knew you had found the purse, but was silent, too? Have you ever mentioned it to her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never mentioned it to her. She is having problems with her memory right now so if she ever knew about it, she has since forgotten it. One of the old Laura Ingalls books mentions a similar situation in which Laura discovered a book that was meant to be a present for her. The purse incident reminds me of Laura's story.

      Delete
    2. Do you know that I've never read all of the Little House books? There is controversy now about the attitudes towards the American Indians in the books. There is a recent children's book, "Prairie Lotus" by Linda Sue Park that is very much in the style of the Little House books but deals with prejudices of the times. I just finished it and it was pretty good. You might look for it if you were a fan of the Little House Books. The author was very much a fan, but wanted to address that issue, so she wrote her own "fan fiction" version. The book is getting a lot of acclaim.

      Delete
    3. I'll have to keep that book in mind. There is undoubtedly a biased view of not only Native Americans, but also African Americans in the books (for instance, Pa is in a minstrel show). I try to read the books realizing that is this one person's picture in time and while it's educational to see things from her mindset, it doesn't tell the whole story.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kris,
    I agree with your choice to just say nothing about finding the purse. As much as your mom wanted to have this surprise for you, I'm sure you wanted to preserve her joy in seeing you open the gift.

    I hadn't heard of Tumblin' Tomboy. There's a youtube video showing the doll in action. What a disappointment to have the doll not work so soon after receiving it.

    My own biggest disappointments came from not being able to locate a toy that was requested by one of my kids as the only thing this child wanted. I felt terrible about that, but there wasn't anything I could do. This was pre-internet era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm curious Lili what toy you couldn't find. My kids were always interested in the latest gaming system and we only tried once to get one for them, but failed. The video game people seem to be experts at creating demand.

      Delete
    2. I can imagine your disappointment, Lili. My kids don't typically ask for many things so when they do make a request, I really want to fulfill it.

      Delete
  3. Hi Kris, that must have been so disappointing for both you and your parents when your doll stopped tumbling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder who was more disappointed? Kris because she had wanted the doll so bad or her parents who probably went to a lot of effort to find it and spent good money on it. But I bet the build up and opening of the present was good for both of them. It's just that things turned south pretty quickly.

      Delete
    2. I know that my parents were disappointed. An unintentional gift they gave me was to look for the humor in situations like this.

      Delete
    3. Tumblin Tomboy-$5.99. The gift of humor--priceless.

      Delete

What do you think?