Monday, December 21, 2020

Sigh

 Whose idea was it to post every day? I think I've hit the Christmas and posting wall. COVID concerns have jumbled all of our potential plans and everything is up in the air. I can adjust to most things except uncertainty. That's where I struggle.

So I'm in a Christmas funk. I am no longer interested in gifts, baking, carols, holiday movies, etc. However, life goes on and I'm going through the motions. You know, the fake it until you make it. 

Yesterday, Ward and I went to Wally's apartment to help him hang some Christmas lights. We also took him a small tree. It was good to see him even if it was a short visit. We sang Christmas carols all of the way there during which I discovered that I don't know the words to all of them as well as I thought I did. However, I'm pretty good at making them up as I go along (which drives Miss Landers crazy. Good thing she wasn't there to hear me).

Saturday night, I decided that we should watch a Christmas movie and chose Miracle on 34th Street which we found on Amazon Prime. However, I spent much of the movie confused. Something didn't seem entirely right. The actors, while familiar, didn't look quite like I remembered. However, the story was right on. After a little Googling, I figured out that we were watching a 1955 version of a TV adaption of the movie. Then it all made sense why Grandpa Horton was playing the love interest. (Grandpa Horton was a long-time character from the soap, Days of Our Lives. He was played by MacDonald Carey.")

Since that show only lasted 40 minutes, we decided to watch another Christmas movie. We chose one randomly from the list and watched a very bad, but heartwarming movie about a widowed dad with a young daughter who wants a happy dad for Christmas. Enter spoiled rich girl who becomes a better person until there is strife because of some lies. But, of course, there was a happy ending. Last night I watched the Sound of Music which was also a story about the softening of a widower's heart by an unlikely love interest, but it was 100 times better than the one the night before. And I got all of the words to those songs right as I sang along. Maybe because I was singing along instead of by myself. :)

Don't ask me why we haven't done it before, but this past weekend we finally did some Zoom calls with relatives. While both Ward and I both have had plenty of virtual meetings for work, we have remained old school with phone calls and emails (and even some snail mail) for our personal communications. However, we finally joined the rest of the world and enjoyed seeing some faces to go with our conversations.

More baking is on the schedule for today, as well as, putting some last minute touches on a few gifts. 

So I will continue faking it until I make it which may be after I totally wake up. Have I mentioned before that I'm not a morning person?

Until next time...


11 comments:

  1. From one non-morning person to another Good Mid Morning!
    Covid has knocked the socks off of Christmas plans. The decorating frenzy has left me tired but spirited. My Christmas shopping, well, not so much. I have not been in stores so if I can't find it online or at my weekly 10 minute grocery shopping time, it is not going to happen. I miss running into little things that I see and know they would be prefect so I get them. Instead everything is utilitarian, unexciting, and uninspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wake up early, but I'm not awake until a few hours later. Ward, however, wakes up ready to go, but has learned to steer clear of me in the morning for harmony between us. So I very much understand and appreciate the Good Mid Morning greeting.

      Delete
  2. The Christmas Blahs. They can be so hard to work through. I suspect you are not alone, especially this year.

    We baked gingerbread people last night and that brightened my mood, but hearing my kids have fun together tends to do that, anyway. My kids think I know far too many lyrics to songs and would probably welcome it if I would be more silent. Ha.

    So, maybe as ideas for future posts ..... what is your favorite childhood Christmas memory? Is there a memory of a gift "fail"? (I have a memory like that!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost every situation brings a song to mind for me, however, I only let about half of them actually get voiced. I find that others seem to appreciate my restraint. :)

      Thanks for your post suggestions. I have covered some of those topics in the past. Maybe I'll pull out another post or two from the files. However, I can't think of big gift fail. I'm interested in hearing your story. Want to be a guest poster?

      Delete
  3. This year's Christmas has been a real roller coaster, to date, hasn't it? It has been emotionally exhausting, I think, and everything seems to take more effort than in other years. But, sometimes, going through the motions is just what it takes and I am glad to read that you are doing it with a song or two, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a bit of Christmas sadness is normal even in non-pandemic years. Holidays always make us think of those who aren't with us anymore. That is compounded by the fact that we can't be with many who are still with us, this year.

      With all of that being said, I just made some fudge that was quite tasty. I hope it cools well because I have plans to give some of it to the neighbors. Nothing like some chocolate to cheer one up.

      Delete
  4. I understand the blahs. They get me, too. It sounds like you're doing a good job of faking it, though. You made fudge, watched a bunch of good movies, and helped hang Christmas lights for your son.

    Here's hoping that your Christmas funk ends quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is better. It's going to be a busy day, so I won't have time to think too much. The fudge turned out well and is packaged ready to give. Now to do some cards to go with it and then deliveries. Wishing you a great day, Lili, with no Christmas blahs.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Live and Learn. You, too!

      Delete
  5. I hope you'll be ok for the holidays and happy. Baking is fun, decorating cookies. I love doing that. Unless I eat all the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It comes, it goes. I am pretty bad about eating whatever I bake, so I try not to do too much. Last night, I had my husband help me and we promptly wrapped up the fudge before I could indulge more than I should.

      Delete

What do you think?