Thursday, November 7, 2019

And So It Begins

or We're Getting a New Porch

Since we bought our first house years ago, Ward has wanted a place to sit outside and listen to the rain. Let me rephrase that, Ward has wanted a place to sit outside and listen to the rain without getting wet. So when we determined that our 30 year old deck needed to be replaced for safety reasons, we decided it was finally time to get our porch with a roof. 

While we've had a lot of remodeling work done over the years, this is the first time that we are having new construction and I am going to chronicle the process here. 

This is the deck that came with our house. We might have just replaced some of the upper parts, but the posts underneath were rotting at the ground.

The first step was to work with an architect to draw up plans.  This was a multistage process with a dialog about what we wanted (a roof and easy maintenance) and what was possible within a reasonable budget. After we agreed on the plans, we sent them to 5 contractors asking for bids. We picked one and soon thereafter we had a signed contract. 


Next step was clearing the deck to get ready for the workers. Ward took out a section of railing so we could hand things over the side. One of the problems with the old deck was the very narrow ramp onto the deck. That is going away in the new design.


After they finally got the permit, next was the mobilization. They brought in the lumber,


A dumpster,


and a Port a John. Then I knew this was definitely bigger than any project we had been involved in before. We had a Port-a John on site! (BTW, they will empty it weekly or when we call.)


After mobilization, they started with demo day, of course. Now we're committed.


Next up will be the mason who will dig and install the masonry piers. Until next time...


18 comments:

  1. We changed our deck to a screened in porch about 10 years ago and it was the single best decision we have ever made. The only time we can't use it is in the height of pollen season. Lots of mornings in the winter I sit in a rocking chair covered in a blanket while I drink my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For now, we've decided against screens because we don't want to block the view. It's the main view into the backyard from the house. We have enough breeze that bugs usually aren't too much of a problem. We'll see. Before our south facing deck was so hot with the sun that we couldn't go out there most of the time. We're hoping the roof helps with that, too.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. We're happy here. We moved here three years ago to get into a one story house, so when our knees go, we'll be okay.

      Delete
  3. This is exciting. I love new projects like these. And while it's a nuisance to have workmen on site regularly, at least they're not tromping through your house. My guess is both you and Ward will really enjoy the covered porch in the rain when it's completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that we will really like it. However, I am still questioning what we picked out and the plans because I'm not very good at visualizing the finished structure. But we got a really good architect and I don't think he would have let us do anything stupid.

      Delete
  4. What an exciting project! Your yard is lovely and now you will be able to enjoy it even more. I also don't visualize projects well and I get a little nervous when spending a lot of money, so I understand questioning yourself all too well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dimensions are changing from the deck and I'm not sure about them. It's probably because they're different that they don't seem quite right to me. However, as I said before, we have an architect who is highly recommended with 30 years experience that I just have to trust. And the expense doesn't help with the anxiety, but I'm slowly learning to get over it. If I didn't do everything that I'm a bit anxious about, nothing would ever happen here.

      Delete
  5. It sounds great. I hope you'll iron everything out and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how exciting! I've always wanted a porch! Thank you for sharing the construction process with us! I'm looking forward to seeing it being built. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may not have a porch but you have citrus trees. I think that's pretty cool. :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Hopefully, there will be more to come. My plan is to do an update about once a week. We'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  8. Exciting! Can't wait to see finished product. You know its a big project when they bring in the porta potty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kind of blows my mind of how big of a project it is. We're not building a house or anything--just a rectangular floor, railings and a roof. But when you see the details of everything in the architect's drawings, I guess it's a lot more complicated than I understood.

      Delete
  9. How exciting! I can't wait to see the process as it goes along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the process continues to go well. I hear lots of horror stories about dealing with contractors, but so far we have been very impressed with ours and his organization.

      Delete

What do you think?