Sunday, January 27, 2019

Thankful Sunday, January 27, 2019



I am thankful for sleep.

I think we all know that adequate sleep can make a positive difference in almost every situation. I have learned this many times and had yet another example recently.

Two weeks ago, my neighbor dropped dead. He had been sick, but it was totally unexpected. After his death, I went to work and learned that another friend's husband had also died. He had been sick, but that death was also unexpected.

These two deaths shook me. As I was trying to be supportive, I saw up close and personal the difficulties that these widows were going through. These couples were only a few years older than Ward and I and the situations were hitting too close to home. Even with my best attempts to retrain my thoughts, I was preoccupied with death and the meaning of life. Consequently, sleep did not come easily.

Until two nights a go. I slept most of the night and woke up with a new lease on life. My troubling thoughts are now just a part of my thoughts but not all consuming. They are in balance with the rest of the whirlwind that occupies my brain. And so for a good night's sleep, I am thankful.


11 comments:

  1. So sorry about the loss of your friends. It can make you stop and take notice and, of course, lose sleep. I am glad you were able finally to turn off that part of your brain. I am a middle of the night ponderer and understand the sleepless nights while thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we do a lot of thinking at night because that is when everything is quiet and distractions are at a minimum. It's so easy during the day to find something else to occupy your mind. Unfortunately, for about a week I was not able to distract myself during the day or night. But I'm better now.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your friends. I would also have had some sleepless nights. Hoping you continue to get the rest you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think things are better now...until the next time. The anxious mind is a hard thing to live with sometimes.

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear about the loss of your friends. Yes, sleep is hard to come by when these things hit so close to home! I'm glad you were able to have a good night's sleep, the other night, and hope you continue to be able to sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have had your own share of losses of the last several months. Is that part of the reason it's so hard for you to fall asleep?

      Delete
    2. No, I don't think so. I think my insomnia is partly a side effect of some of the medications I take.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry for your losses. It is unnerving when those that are close in age are suddenly gone because of an unexpected illness or otherwise, for that matter.
    My SIL died suddenly and she was only 60. All we can do is live each day to the fullest and hopefully sleep at night. Glad you got some rest! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Live each day to its fullest. A good goal for all of us.

      Delete
  5. That does freak one out. When I hear someone dies, I always check for age, and if its way older than me I feel better than if they are near the same age or younger. Then I get uncomfortable and start thinking too much. So I know how you feel. When someone dies that we know or know their spouse, its unnerving and we wonder why, search for a plausible reason it won't happen to us, but it will happen to every one of us. I just when I go its sudden and there's no time to worry over it. I just to be gone, just like that, in a blink, nothing drawn out, I guess I'm not that courageous to go through a drawn out death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going suddenly is most everyone's goal, but life hands us what it hands us. I have an uncle who has a large aneurysm that is quite dangerous, but he won't get it fixed. His plan is to go fast when it bursts. I wish he would get it fixed, but I also hope his plan works.

      Delete

What do you think?