Wednesday, October 17, 2018

And there was light

Maine Vacation, Day 2

When we last spoke, I was lamenting over the fact that I had accidentally deleted all of the pictures on my camera from the beginning of our Maine vacation. Well after a lot of teeth gnashing, googling, and a late night trip to a Walmart in the next town, most of them were recovered. Yea! So I can now tell you about our trip to Maine with some pictures.

Wednesday morning we headed north with the destination of Bar Harbor about three hours away. We had no time table, so we stopped wherever and whenever we wanted. We stopped to watch a flock of wild turkeys. We stopped to buy snacks. We stopped to admire leaves. And we stopped at a "must see" tourist trap, I mean attraction, Perry's Nut House.

Perry's Nut House has been around forever (1927) and is one of those places that people stop by mostly for nostalgic reasons. That and the homemade fudge. One of my friends remembers stopping here every year as a kid on the way to visit her grandmother and said we had to stop. The store was full of candy and trinkets. Every interesting bumper sticker you've ever seen could be found here. Every toy that your kid just had to have, but fell apart as soon as you got out the door could be found here. However, it was definitely worth the stop for the chocolate covered peanuts we got.

It was hard, but we made it out of here with only a small bag of chocolate covered peanuts.

After our fun browsing at Perry's nut house, we continued north to the Penobscot Bridge and Observatory. This bridge spans the Penobscot River and has a 420' observatory in one of the bridge pylons. It has an amazing view of the area, that is, if you are not afraid of heights, which I am. And Ward isn't. So we both went to the top of the tower and I clung to the inner wall waiting for the next elevator down while Ward was enjoying the 360 degree view of the area. When I got to the bottom, I walked around examining rocks and plants while bracing myself against the wind from a front that was moving in. Ward came down later all excited about the views and engineering of the bridge. I guess you might say, a good time was had by all. Sort of.

The bridge is a cable suspension bridge and the elevator for the observatory
is located in the base of the near pylon.


This is one of the pictures Ward took from the tower. He is looking straight down on the bridge.
To help you gain perspective, the white dots at the end of the bridge are cars.

Next to the bridge is Fort Knox historic site. The fort was named was named after Major General Henry Knox the same general that Fort Knox, of gold fame in Kentucky, was named after. The fort was built in the mid 1800's was made mostly from granite. Granite does not easily break down and this is the most intact fort I have visited.

They were getting ready for a fright night at the fort and were decorating for it.
These pumpkins were not frightening, but some of the other things we saw were.


The walls were in as good of shape as they were when the fort was built. The granite was cut from a nearby area and was transported down the river to the fort.


Across the river from the fort was the picturesque town of Bucksport. The town of Bucksport was burned down at one point by the British when they had control of the river during the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.  Because of this, a  fort was planned for the area in 1825 but it was 1853 before it was totally completed. While there were troops stationed there during the Civil War and Spanish-American War, the area has not been threatened again since the fort was built.

Note: 
We got home yesterday from the trip. It was a great trip and we had a good time. I hope to continue posting about our trip as we took it. 

However, reentry home has been hard. One of my cats is sick, but recovering, Another one is looking bad. I hope that we can turn him around.  I have a funeral to attend for my cousin in another state and both Ward and I have to work this weekend. Other than that, there's the normal stuff of paying bills and laundry. But such is life.

In the meantime, I have been trying to catch up on your blogs. I am reading, but not commenting much yet. But I will. Soon. Until then you probably know me well enough that you can imagine what I would say.


12 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I'm glad you were able to recover at least some of your pictures and can share them with us. I enjoyed seeing the colors of the trees.

    So sorry to hear about two of your cats being ill. Hope they both recover soon.

    Sorry, too, to hear that your cousin passed away.

    Coming back from vacation and settling in to the regular routine is never easy even under the best of circumstances. Sorry you both have to go back to work, this weekend. Just take each day as it comes and enjoy looking through your vacation pictures and reliving the whole experience as you post about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming back from vacation is hard because there's so much to catch up on. However, I consider this vacation a success because we hardly thought about anything at home during it. A vacation is supposed to give your mind a rest and that's what this one did. :)

      Delete
  2. I, too, am sorry about your cat troubles and about your cousin.

    The Nut House sounds like Maine's answer to Wall Drug. Kitchy fun.

    Your pictures show autumn in its grandeur! So glad you recovered most of them. Your story about not liking heights made me smile. On our honeymoon in Bermuda, my husband and I toured a lighthouse. I had no idea he was afraid of heights until we got to the top and he turned a pale shade of green while I went around snapping photos. I experienced my own fear of heights this summer, though, when we drove through Rocky Mountain National Park. I didn't realize just.how.stinking.high that road through is!!!!! Good thing I wasn't the one driving. We might still be there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those narrow, windy roads with a steep drop off make me uncomfortable, too. I think the passenger side is harder because you're closer to the drop off. Maybe driving would be better. I'm not sure. Neither one is good.

      Delete
  3. Glad you had a nice vacation and especially glad you recovered many of your photos. If you had minimal thoughts of home and people near home while you were gone the trip was a complete success and what a vacation truly should be.
    Now back to the real world. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes the real world is no fun, but you should be having some busy fun with the upcoming wedding. :)

      I consider the trip a complete success. We had family time, tourist time, friend time in just the right combos. Can't ask for any more than that.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing the photos of your trip. I'm with you -- I'd be gluing myself to the wall of the observatory. I love your description of the Perry's Nut House. Isn't there a place like that in just about every small touristy town? They're fun to poke through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right. Perry's Nut House just about defines a tourist destination. I think it is fun that it's been there for so long and is a destination for one generation to pass down to the next. That's what happened with my friend and with my brother-in-law and his kids.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you were able to recover most of the photos. I forget how beautiful the northeast is in the fall. We don't have the depth of colors here - plus, we always seem to get an early snowfall which makes the leaves fall off before they have a chance to change color.

    Anyhow, I'm so sorry that you're in sick kitty land. I totally understand how hard it is - especially as they get older. I'm sending all of my best kitty healing energy your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our timing was good as far as the fall color went. Every place had some changing leaves and some places were at peak. We didn't plan to be there for a leaf tour as we have good color here, also, but I'm very glad it worked out.

      Sick kitty land is no fun and, as you well know, is a full time job. We have two that won't eat and one that is getting fatter by the minute as she swoops in at every chance and eats the others food. We're hoping for a turn around for Lucky, but I think he's in his final days. However we continue to work with him. Leo, is in the beginning of full blown kidney disease, but we're hoping to arrest it's development for a while. He has had some other weird things in the past couple of months, but those seem to be clearing up. Anyway, thanks for your support.

      Delete
  6. Wow, Bucksport is beautiful with the fall foliage mingled into the buildings. Building with granite, that's amazing. And forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bucksport was beautiful. I was taking pictures of it while Ward was examining parts of the fort. There is a lot of granite around there, so it used in a lot places. It's so heavy, I have a hard time imagining how they moved it around. Not all quarries were on rivers.

      Delete

What do you think?