Sunday, June 10, 2018

Thankful Sunday, June 10,2018

I am thankful for a day away.

Recently, Ward and I had one of those days when we needed to get away from our chores and worries and do something different. I keep a folder with ideas for just such days. When someone tells me about a place to visit or I see an interesting brochure or article, I put it in. Later, if we need an idea for something to do, we pull out the folder.

This time the folder guided us to a local barn quilt tour and we spent the day searching out quilt patterns.  Most of them were on working barns, but a few were on other public buildings such as an art center. Sometimes we could get close for pictures and sometimes we were far away. Part of the fun was exploring new areas while finding them. Not always an easy thing, even with an address. We found about half of them and will find the rest on another restless afternoon.

So for this day away, I am thankful.

Here are the ones we found with their pattern name. You may be able to tell from the pictures that the day started out foggy and remained overcast.



Birds in Flight



American Homestead



Generation Star



Black-eyed Susan



Corn and Beans



Country Fair



Sunflower on Star



Shriver Millstones



Crazy Quilt



Stairway to Stars



Tulips in a Basket



12 comments:

  1. Those are cool pictures of barns. Looks like a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun day. We're looking forward to looking for the rest of the trail.

      Delete
  2. I am thankful that you were able to have a day away, go on this barn quilt trail, and share these lovely photos with the rest of us! I really enjoyed seeing the different quilt patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about you as we were touring. As a true quilter, I thought you would really appreciate the patterns.

      Delete
  3. I love your idea of keeping a folder with brochures for ideas. There's something so peaceful and pretty about a well-kept barn. The crazy quilt was a fun and unexpected pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had these little slips of paper that I would jot down an idea on when someone would suggest a place we might like to visit. I finally put them in a folder along with other touristy ideas. It's working great.

      I like the crazy quilt pattern because that's what I grew up with. My bed always had quilts on it that my grandmother made. They were made from old clothes and scraps, and a crazy quilt was the only pattern she could make.

      Delete
    2. We have a family crazy quilt that was stored in my parent's attic. Unfortunately, the mice used it for nests, but my sister was able to salvage enough of it to frame a few pictures and to make a couple of pillows out of. It was really a neat quilt, and the quilter embroidered different pictures on it (a pig, flowers, etc.). Too bad it wasn't correctly stored so that we could have the whole quilt. (Were you the one I mentioned "squilt craps" to??? I'm forgetting who I tell what story to).

      Delete
    3. I don't remember a "squilt craps" story. I'm intrigued.

      Delete
    4. My sister is more of a "saver" of items than I am. At Christmas, she gave my mom the quilt projects and had cut-up pieces of the quilt for the rest of us to choose from if we wanted to do something similar. As we were leaving the celebration, she brought a (very large) bag of other quilt scraps to my 12-year-old daughter, who likes to sew, telling her she could make projects out of them. My 'read" on the situation is that they weren't really salvageable scraps and it eased her conscience to give them to my daughter instead of throwing them away. In the privacy of our car on the way home, I asked, "What are we going to do with all these squilt craps?" Definitely a (Freudian???) slip of the tongue for me and it's been an ongoing joke in our family since then.

      Delete
    5. That's really funny. What did you daughter think of her bag?

      Delete
    6. I knew we shared a sense of humor. :) My daughter is quietly witty. She is planning to make coasters out of the scraps and give them all to my sister.

      Delete

What do you think?