Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Blooming This Week

 Here are a few new things (and a few old things) that are blooming this week in the yard. There is more green than anything else at this point, but it is all the bright. lush growth of the spring. 

Vinca

In the same bed with the vinca is the hellebore that's been blooming for about 6 weeks now. If you look closely, you can see seed pods forming. Per Bless's suggestion, I'm going to collect them and try to grow more. 

Coral bells. Even though these are pink, I sing the song White Coral Bells* every time I pass them. "White coral bells upon a slender stalk..."


Then I go around the corner and complete the next line, "Lilies of the Valley deck my garden walk."


Every year, I think I'm going to take these azaleas out. They are much too close to the house, and they are misshapen and scraggly because of all of the dead branches we've had to cut out. But every spring, they have magnificent blooms like this, and they live to see another day.


Amsonia


Iris. We have two more colors of iris that haven't bloomed yet.

Dianthus. We started with 6 of these in this bed, but this is the only one left three years later.


The fig tree is starting to sprout leaves. Figs don't tolerate cold weather well, so we never know if it survived the winter until May.


The first rhodendron has bloomed. This plant took a turn for the worse last year and never recovered despite various things we did.  But as long as it's hanging on, we will keep it.


Just hatched chickadees.


Until next time...

* I learned the song slightly different than this, but it's essentially the same.




10 comments:

  1. I only remember the first line to White Coral Bells. :)

    It's fun to see how spring is shaping up in different parts of the country. We have lilacs blooming now--they are about 3 weeks early. A neighboring city has an annual Tulip Festival, and many of the tulips are already done (and the festival started this week).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's like the Cherry Blossom Festival around here. Some years, the trees cooperate with the date and sometimes they don't.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard that song before and am so glad you shared it.
    I have been looking for hellebores to plant. I have a partially shaded sloping bed that they should look really nice in. Unfortunately am having no luck finding them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, I've never noticed hellebores in a nursery. This one was given to me by a friend. But a lot of people have them, so there must be a source.

      Delete
  3. Aww! Look at the sweet babies! 😍 I’m just in awe of the beautiful flowers in your yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think just hatched baby birds aren't too cute, but all babies have a certain appeal, don't they? These will soon be getting more fur/feathers and be cuter than ever.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. We have several other nests around that I think have had baby birds, but this is the only one I can see into easily.

      Delete
  5. Your garden is full of lovely flowers! I hope that collecting the hellebore seeds will work for you. So far, I've not had any success with them! But, we planted it in the ground, this year, and maybe we'll find some seedlings, next year! I learned that song in a singing class I took; we sang it as rounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I read says that hellebore seeds take a long time to germinate, so maybe you will find some in the fall. I like singing that song in rounds.

      Delete

What do you think?