Monday, April 15, 2024

Blog files, Part 1

 I used to keep a folder of ideas that I might blog about. I last looked at it a few years ago, but it resurfaced as we were cleaning out our files. I found it interesting to see what I thought I might write about. You may or may not be interested, but here are some of the things I saved in case you are. :)


--Notes about differences in hot dog preferences in West Virginia. This came after visiting Hillybilly Hot Dogs in Lesage, WV. I learned a line running through West Virginia separates those who prefer slaw on their dogs and those who like chili. The details are more complex than that, and maybe I'll write about them someday.

--An article on George Orwells Six rules for choosing the right word. This was something from my mother, a writer in her later years. I have all but given up on proper writing because so many rules seem to be changing. As you have noticed, I have chosen a more conversational style than a more formal one. 

--Notes for the A-Z Challenge, 2018. In case you're not familiar with it, the A-Z Challenge is an annual challenge during April to post daily (no Sundays) for a different letter of the alphabet. I chose not to do it this year, but I always have mixed feelings. Coming up with a different post daily can be arduous, and I tire quickly of it. However, I have written some of my most interesting posts during these Aprils. Something about necessity is the mother of invention...

--Also, from 2018, an article about doing a podcast when I was toying with the idea of doing one. I'm still interested, but it would be hard to compete with the copious amounts of them available these days. In addition, I have no equipment to work with for any kind of decent sound quality. However, who knows? When I retire, maybe I'll look into it.


--An article from Mental Floss about why bird poop is white. I included some of this information in this post in 2018; B is for Bird.

--A letter to my mother telling her she had won a spot on a local TV game show. I think she won a TV, among other things. I was always fascinated with this story, but she didn't talk about it much. I still may do something on this.

--A copy of two utility bills from the 1940s that we found in my family's home just hours after one of the residents at my mother's nursing home told me that her uncle used to live in our house. The bills were in her uncle's name. It was one of several connections I made at the nursing home while visiting my mother. I wrote about it here.

--Playbills for Sweeney Todd, Fickle, Godspell, and The Magic Play. I never got around to writing about any outings to see these shows, but I did write about seeing Dial M for Murder

Tune in next time to see what else I pull out of the folder.

10 comments:

  1. The giant hot dog is funny. I didn't realize anyone thought you had to choose between chili and slaw on a hot dog. I think both are required for the perfect hot dog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My perfect hot dog is grilled with chili, cheese, mustard, and onions. But I wouldn't mind if there were slaw on it, too.

      Delete
  2. Count me in the WV'ers who like slaw! Cool picture!! Reminds me of the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile my husband often sees while driving over the road. I would love to hear more about your mom being on a game show! How cool! I think a podcast is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Weinermobile was a great marketing idea for Oscar Meyer. Everyone likes it. My mother wrote her autobiography, but didn't include her game show appearance. I never understood why. It happened before I was born, and I have only heard occasional stories about it. I'll have to ask may sisters.

      Delete
  3. You have lots of good material for future posts! We drive by a restaurant with a giant hotdog on the roof on our route to visit my son in college. Someday I want to stop there.

    My husband had a slaw dog last summer on our vacation to WV. He greatly enjoyed it. Michigan has its own hotdog wars--Detroit coney islands vs Flint coney island hotdogs. Since I grew up near Flint, that is obviously my preference (also, it's superior to Detroit's, haha). It's funny that people can have such strong opinions about hotdogs. Chicago also has its own specialty hotdog, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's the difference between the Detroit and Flint hotdogs?

      Delete
    2. https://www.mlive.com/news/flint/2021/09/michigans-best-local-eats-flint-vs-detroit-style-coney-dogs-this-restaurant-serves-both.html#:~:text=Both%20are%20prepared%20with%20Koegel's,dog%20with%20mustard%20and%20onion.

      Long link, but that gives you the basic idea.

      Delete
    3. They sound similar to me, but I think I prefer the Detroit style since what they described is just like I prefer mine, anyway. Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful idea to keep a file of blog post ideas! I've missed your A-Z posts, this year, but, I know you are busy. As for hotdogs, I tend to prefer mine with just mustard, ketchup (or tomato chutney), and relish, although, sometimes, I like chili on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like relish on my hot dogs, too, on occasion. I also like relish on my BBQ sandwiches instead of slaw. I get strange looks sometimes on that one.

      Delete

What do you think?