Friday, April 12, 2024

April Showers

 April Showers Bring May Flowers, 

or April Showers Bring April Flowers

Here are some photos of April flowers around the yard this week.

Grape hyacinth


The sunshine and warm temperatures brought out the bees.


While some daffodils have faded, others are in full bloom.


This is a first time bloom for these. I planted the bulbs from a friend several years ago and they have only shown anemic growth of the leaves. What a special treat to find these blooms.


Wallflower


Violets


The peas have finally come up. Time to put the garden fence up before the rabbits find them.


Our little apple tree is blooming.


As well as one the bigger apple trees.
However, we have never gotten more than an apple or two from it.


The cherry tree is blooming, but the wind is causing its blossoms to rain down.


Another daffodil.


The phlox is in full bloom.

Are April showers bringing April showers where you are?

Until next time...


14 comments:

  1. I love the bee photo. The bee seems to be looking at you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely flowers! Those white daffodils are very pretty and I'm glad they are starting to flower for you. I'm sorry the cherry flowers are being blown down; I hope you'll get plenty of apples, this year! I'm admiring all the well-mulched, weed-free flower beds! And that photo of the bee is great! Yes, April showers are bringing April flowers in my garden, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been systematically weeding beds and many more to go. We did a pretty thorough mulching last year which is helping some this spring. I didn't put anything in for scale, but the white daffodils are small, about the size of a half dollar.

      Delete
  3. We used to have more grape hyacinths but most of them seem to have disappeared. I should plant more bulbs again. Our daffodils are out and we have some early blooming tulips, too. You have a wonderful variety of blooms and I'm slightly envious. We had showers this morning, but the sun is out now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grape hyacinths have taken over that bed. I tried to dig out all except some right along the front, but that just made them spread. If you were closer, you could have all that you wanted. We had a good variety of plants at our old house, and I have tried to do that here, all the while, trying not to expand beyond what we can manage. It's debatable whether or not I have succeeded with that goal. :)

      Delete
  4. Your flowers are so pretty! We've had a lot of rain this month, which the flowers seem to love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a lot of rain, too. That along with the warmer temperatures has made all of the plants happy.

      Delete
  5. SO many beautiful wild flowers! I have seen plenty of grape hyacinth over here, but never knew the proper name. Now I know :-) Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though they have the name hyacinth, they aren't true hyacinths. But I guess they do look like small ones.

      Delete
  6. Yup, those a definitely April flowers! Love the picture with the bee in it! Not too much growing here yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, you've been dealing with more snow that flowers.

      Delete
  7. Wow! You have some seriously beautiful flowers in your yard! I love them all, but they hyacinth is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the deep purple color of the hyacinths, too. And the deer seem to leave them alone which is an added bonus.

      Delete

What do you think?