Thursday, January 25, 2024

Getting Rid of Stuff

 We're in the middle of a decluttering effort at our house. I'm not sure how long it's going to last, but so far, it's going well. We have finished the cat things, our bedroom, and our bathroom and have started our files. After going through the tedious and difficult process of deciding what needed to go and what was going to stay, we still had to process what we were getting rid of. 

So far, we have gotten rid of three carloads of stuff, another seven big bags, and two boxes that were picked up. Here are the places where things have gone: vet's office, Humane Society, charity pickup, church thrift store, women's shelter, friends, recycling center, home recycling, the dump, and trash. 

I tried not to get too hung up on finding just the right fit for an item because that can be immobilizing. But I hoped that by donating something to the right place, it could still be used, or it wouldn't be a burden on someone else who would have to get rid of it because it really was trash. Also, we tried to coordinate our donation trips with other errands to be mindful of our time and gas.

So I said that I tried not to get too hung up on finding just the right place for things, but when you look at the list, maybe I did. Do find it hard to declutter? Do you worry about donating things to the right place, or do you say, "Good enough is good enough"?

Until next time...



9 comments:

  1. Mostly, I'm in the "good enough" camp. I donated 2 bags of stuff to Goodwill yesterday--it must be the time of year when we look at paring down our clutter. I dislike decluttering (I love how you used the word "tedious") but I like the results. I find that if I get too picky about where I donate my items, then I never get around to doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally, we don't take things to so many different places, but we had some things that I thought needed special attention. For example, we had a couple of nice suits that I didn't want getting thrown into the back of truck to maybe be ruined, so those got hand delivered to a local thrift store where I knew that would get handled well. The small hotel toiletries couldn't be sold at the thrift store, but could get used at a shelter. The Humane Society would take open bags of food, but the vet's office couldn't. And so it goes. We won't have so many things with our next bit of decluttering since we are doing paperwork. Now I have to find a good place for shredding. I think we might burn the motor out on ours if we shredded what we have - and we've just started. Or maybe it will just be a long slow process of shredding a little at a time.

      Delete
  2. Well done on the decluttering! I'm still struggling to declutter! I usually wait until I have about 8 to 10 bags/boxes of donatable decluttered items and call for a pick up by a charity. They don't accept old magazines and text books, so those get recycled; sometimes, I'll take the magazines to the cancer center.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think decluttering is something we all struggle with. If we don't have a lot of stuff, I will usually drop it off at a local thrift shop. If we have a lot, I will schedule a pick up.

      Delete
  3. right on! it sounds like you did well. For me the hard part is taking time to do it. I actually also did have a good go at it this week. I gave two items to friends that wanted those items and! I am happy to say, i have many friends who are gifting me stuff, last week i got a winter '23 edition magazine, i read it, enjoyed very much and now it is already by the door, saturday it will go to the free store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trading with others is a good thing for everyone. I like to do that with my sisters, especially.

      Delete
  4. That is a lot of stuff!!!! Do you feel free now? Or lots more to go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see your comment at first because Blogger thought it was span. Who knows why!? Anyway, I wouldn't exactly say I feel free of junk yet, but it did feel good to get rid of all of that stuff. We have more areas that need attention, but I have a feeling I'll get tired of this sorting before we're done.

      Delete

What do you think?