Wednesday, December 13, 2023

A Cold Day in December

Or Ramblings about the Weather and Other Things


When we went to bed last night, it was windy, with a warm, steady rain. But this morning, we woke up to our first snow of the year (except for "conversational snow," as the weatherman calls it - meaning flurries.) A big surprise for almost everyone. Although the temperatures have risen and the snow has melted, it's still cold and windy. At least, I think so. And in my world, that's the opinion that matters. However, I will be very happy next spring with temperatures in the 30s and 40s after a typically very cold January and February. It's all relative.

I didn't finish this post, which I started two days ago, and now it's old news. There is nothing interesting in the forecast for the next few days except cold days and colder nights. Not sure what the weather around Christmas will be, but luckily, we will be traveling locally and won't have to worry about getting stuck in an airport waiting for a storm to clear up. Been there, done that, and will be happy to never do it again. Good luck to all of you who will be traveling. May all of your travels be uneventful and safe.

I guess that's enough about the weather. How's that saying go, "If it weren't for the weather, most of us wouldn't know what to talk about." :) But wait! Another weather-related comment. Despite the freezing nights and days, our camellia is blooming with beautiful pink blossoms. I'm not sure how that works, as all of the other plants are either dead or in winter dormancy right now, but the blooms are a bright spot on the grey and brown landscape. 

The pink blossoms are holding their own quite well with the holiday lights that abound. We tried a different arrangement for our outdoor lights this year so that we could use some of the half-lit strands we have. LED bulbs may burn forever, but if they are on cheap wire that breaks, that long-life doesn't do you any good, she says a little annoyed with the whole thing.

Otherwise, Christmas prep is going well. Most gifts are bought. A few are wrapped. And the ones we're making are well on their way. The tree is up, and all the indoor decorating that is going to get done is done. Still up is baking, but I'll get around to that soon. Maybe. 

This year's tree.

Tomorrow, we visit my father-in-law and help him with some of his Christmas preparations. He still likes to have everyone gather at his house for Christmas and stays out of the way, as his kids make it happen. Gathering there is a long tradition in Ward's family that we are lucky to continue.

I think I'll go bake some brownies now. Not to give away at Christmas, but I'm feeling the need to have something sweet for Ward and me for a bedtime snack.

Until next time...


10 comments:

  1. The tree is just beautiful, as is the camellia! That snow looks colllddd!!! Haha! I am so not ready for that! We usually see a little winter precipitation, but I am thankful that snow is not a regular occurrence. I used to love it when I was younger, but it's just too cold now that I am older. Hope your Christmas preparations continue to go well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year we didn't get much snow, but more is predicted for this season. We shall see. Snow is very pretty, but a problem when you have to get out in it. But I still hope for snow days just like I did in school. :)

      Delete
  2. The snow is beautiful, as are the camellia blossoms. I perked up when I saw the word brownies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made peanut butter ones, and they hit the spot. Now if I can just help myself from having them for breakfast.

      Delete
  3. That snow! It looks like a proper winter wonderland! Your camellias are beautiful and so is your Christmas tree! Brownies sound delicious! Have a piece for me, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a lot of snow! We haven't had any yet, but all predictions are saying more snow than usual for us this winter. I'm hoping they're all wrong!

    Your tree looks so pretty. I love seeing everyone's Christmas trees and decorations. :-) Enjoy your Christmas baking! That's one of my favorite parts of the holidays.

    And I love your camellia. It makes me want to get one if it's going to bloom in the winter like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing Christmas decorations, too. I like them all no matter the style. I'll see if your baking will inspire me today because I need to do some while I have a day off. However, I woke up with a migraine, so it may take some time before I'm ready.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful snowy picture! I love it when the tree branches are outlined by snow.

    Sounds like you are doing well on your Christmas prep. I spent the day wrapping gifts (and I baked a batch of Christmas cookies). I'm pretty pooped out. But future me will be glad that I got on the bandwagon and got things done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wet snow and stuck to the trees for nature's own special Christmas decorations. It's long gone now and I don't mind. I bet it did feel good to get wrapping and baking done. I'm not sure where I'll start now - wrapping or baking, but need to see if I can lick this headache first. And if truth be told, maybe I should mop the kitchen floor before I do anything else.

      Delete

What do you think?