Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Life is a Bowl of Cherries

Sour cherries from our tree

You are probably familiar with the saying, "Life is Like a Bowl of Cherries." It is meant to be used when life is good but is often used sarcastically as Erma Bombeck did for her book, If Life is Bowl of Cherries, What am I Doing in the Pits? But I mean it in a good way. Life is indeed a bowl of cherries here both figuratively and literally. We are still basking in the afterglow of the construction being completed, and we got cherries from our cherry tree this year! This was a welcome event because last year, birds and a fungus got to them before we did.

The tree is old, and much of the cherries
are out of reach even with a ladder and a pole,
but we picked what we could.

Cherries are one of those fruits that turn your hands black.
I was embarrassed when I had to go to work
with these dirty-looking hands, but it was what it was.


Most of the cherries are in the freezer but some
got baked into this pie for the 4th of July cookout.
I also made an apple pie. As Ward says,
 "You can never have too much pie."

Until next time...

8 comments:

  1. I didn't realize cherries turned someone's hands black. Does it help if you wear gloves? Glad you did get the cherries from the tree though. I bet the pie(s) were delicious! And the added bonus of having more cherries in the freezer for later treats down the road. My mom loved Erma Bombeck. I think some of the best laughs she had was reading something Erma had written :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have helped if I had worn gloves, but I didn't think of it until it was too late. The stain wore off my hands after a couple of days, so it wasn't too bad. But I deal with the public and I was a bit embarrassed. I looked either dirty or like I was in severe need of oxygen. The pies were very good especially since we served them with ice cream. :)

      Delete
  2. That's exciting to get so many cherries. I know what you mean about going to work with weird stains on your hands. It's always so awkward. Hopefully the cherries (and pie!) were worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cherries were worth it! But they don't stain as badly as apples and nothing beats the stains of black walnuts. That can last for weeks. We had walnut trees at our old house, but we don't have any here. And that's okay by me because I don't like them that much.

      Delete
  3. I remember being embarrassed by my stained fingers when my mom had me help with putting up strawberries in the summer. Gloves are an option but if they are too big then they are more hassle than it's worth to deal with. Your pie looks yummy and I fully agree with Ward! More pie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did tons of canning and freezing when I was growing u, and it seemed like half the year my hands were stained one way or another from a fruit or vegetable. And back then, form fitting gloves were only available to medical personnel, so they weren't an option. Or come to think of it, they might not have had gloves. Just lots of handwashing and disinfectant.

      Delete
  4. Ward is right about pie! I am baking an apple pie today or tomorrow to use up some apples that otherwise will go bad. I bet the relief and freedom is splendid to have the construction work over with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pies-especially fruit pies. However, I don't make them as often as I'd like because they're not that good for me. But every once in while is okay. Enjoy your apple pie. That's my favorite.

      Delete

What do you think?