Friday, April 22, 2022

S is for Safety

I am a reasonably safety-conscious person. In some areas, it's easy for me to be that way. For example, I'm uncomfortable with heights, so you won't find me standing too close to the edge of a cliff. Where I don't have a natural fear, I read studies and listen to experts on safety recommendations. Of course, there have been many discussions over the last two years about safety procedures and the coronavirus, but I won't go into that here. I'm going to talk about bicycle safety instead.

We didn't have bicycle helmets when I was growing up, and most kids survived without them. And because of that, many people have the attitude that if it was good enough for me, it's good enough for my kids. 

However, my kids did grow up in a time with bike helmets, and I made them wear them for a few reasons. First, it was recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics, and secondly, they were required by law. Both were based on safety concerns for head injuries. On top of those, my sister worked at the John's Hopkins trauma center, where patients would come from around the country for an evaluation and treatment plan. She was on a team that helped do that.  My sister saw many bad head injuries from bicycle accidents where the rider was not wearing a helmet, and she begged me to make sure that my kids wore them. So if I had been on the fence before, she definitely convinced me of their importance.

I was having this discussion with one of the other mothers in the neighborhood one day, and she told the story of how her daughter had a bike accident, and the helmet saved her life. In fact, the local police used her helmet when they would give safety talks to drive home the point of their importance. But here's the part I didn't understand. Her daughter rode her bike all the time without her helmet, and her mother didn't bat an eye. 

That wasn't me. So were my kids the weird ones because I made them wear a helmet? Did they protest? Yes, but sometimes you have to be the grown-up and do what you think is right.


14 comments:

  1. Am also too tensed when it comes to safety specially when kids are playing outside & that too riding on bikes is too scary.. last year my daughter had injury on head not very serious and that was just while playing not bike ride...my heart stopped...i never send her out of vicinity now or i accompany her...i think helmet.is must for today's hyper active kids...much needed



    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you daughter turned out okay and I'm glad that are protecting her when needed.

      Delete
  2. You already know where I'm gonna land on this discussion! I've seen many head injuries in the line of my work. Head injuries are horrible, life-changing events and I don't think many people realize just how devastating they can be. When non-medical people are discussing injuries that someone sustained, they tend to hone in on broken bones and bruises and while these are not good, they typically don't have the long-term consequences that brain injuries do. So yes, I'm team helmet all the way, and my kids were also the odd ones in our community who wore their helmets.

    That being said .... I do think there's a tendency for today's parents to hover. Kids are going to fall, get cuts and scrapes, get dirty/wet, and I think its ok to step back and let them experience these things. That's how learning takes place and how they learn they can survive challenging situations. So, in summary to my diatribe, when on machinery or in situations (playing hockey ... ) where kids are going fast and could sustain really bad injuries or even die, yup, that's where parents should step in. But avoid wrapping them in bubble wrap. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just about every issue in parenting requires a judgement call for when you let your kid have adversity to learn from and when they need to be protected. It's one of the hardest things about parenting.

      I'm sure you have seen some serious situations with head injuries. It's so sad if they could have been prevented with a little precaution.

      Delete
  3. I quit riding a bike when I moved here. Few bike lanes, no bike paths, and I got deliberately run into a ditch by a group of young males in a pickup not long after I moved here. Bent the front wheel and I thought this town isn't safe for bike riding. It isn't and if you leave one outside a store to go shop, it probably won't be there when you come back out. However, I always wear a helmet. I've had several bike wrecks in my life. Cars are huge metal monsters and the pavement is very very hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have good bike riding roads around here, either, so I would much rather hike. However, I have relatives that take long bike rides in all kinds of traffic. They wear a helmet, but thank goodness that hasn't been a serious accident yet.

      Delete
  4. Helmets for any types of bikes (kids bikes and motorcycles, etc) are absolutely necessary and life saving. My son always wore his helmet when he rode his bike when he was younger even with complaining about it. And now his son wears his helmet while riding his bike :) Safety is so important these days in so many things!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your glad that the safety lessons you taught your son have carried over to his son.

      Delete
  5. I know I should wear my helmet when I ride my bike but I rarely do. I figured because I don't ride my bike on the road I'm safe. I live in an area where there are lots of parks with nicely paved paths for riding bikes and walking. I figured since I'm not in danger of getting run over by a car, I neve wear my helmet. But of course when my niece and nephew are with me I make them wear theirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cars aren't the only way to have an accident on a bike, so you might want to think about that. I'm glad that you make your niece and nephew wears theirs.

      Delete
  6. Helmets are an absolute necessity. I always feel cold all over when I see people ride horses without helmets: I've seen the damage that can be done to the skull even when wearing one.

    Ronel visiting for the A-Z Challenge My Languishing TBR: S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horseback riding is another place where helmets are a must.

      Delete
  7. Safety is always important. Add me to the list of parents who insisted their children wore helmets when riding bikes, roller blades, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids didn't roller blade as much as they rode bikes, but they had the helmet and wrist guards when they did.

      Delete

What do you think?