Saturday, January 15, 2022

My Neck of the Woods

 or to paraphrase weatherman Al Roker, "Here's what's happening in my neck of the woods."

The most recent snowfall. We are forecast to get three times this much tomorrow.

Today is a welcome day off from a busy week at work before I return tomorrow. Our library has begun handing out COVID test kits for county residents, and there's been somewhat of a frenzy. While there is separate staff handing out the kits, we are fielding continuous phone calls asking about the status of the distribution. These constant interruptions make it hard to assist people who want help with actual library services. But it's all good. People are happy to get the kits, and we are happy to be providing the service. BTW, I don't know the current COVID-related numbers anymore because I've stopped listening to the details. I just know that they are high, and more and more people I know are getting sick. But this too shall pass, she says wearily.

Well, I didn't get this posted yesterday, so let's see what I can do before I'm off to work. And speaking of work, I just found out one of my coworkers now has COVID, which he contracted from his wife. It's been five days since I've seen him, and that was from a distance, both masked. So I think I'm okay. 

And speaking of COVID-related matters, we are experiencing empty grocery store shelves here like most of the rest of the country. I think we are seeing the perfect storm of residual supply chain issues, worker shortages because of COVID, and a big snowstorm last week with a promise of another tomorrow. And to top it all off, these have led to panic buying. Panic buying is the only thing we can really control, but human nature gets in the way, and panic buying results. While we don't exactly have an overly full pantry or freezer here, we won't go hungry for a long time if we get no more supplies.

Until next time...



12 comments:

  1. You need to panic buy when no one else does 😬.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a good strategy.:) I tend to panic buy when everyone else does, but just a little.

      Delete
  2. It sure looks beautiful there but burrrr! If Covid is as bad there as it is here in my area it's way too risky to be out working with the public. Please stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 9 degrees here this morning, but it will be warming up this afternoon before it starts snowing.

      Short of never leaving the house, I'm doing all I can to minimize my exposure to the corona virus. I am vaccinated and boosted, wear a N95 mask, and practice social distancing. And then I hope for the best because we have high transmission rates here, too.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh you have a lot of snow. It looks so beautiful and peaceful and quiet and white. But I recall here, the havoc only six inches did on my cat yard wire. Looks like the roads so far are cleared. Stay safe. Covid is filling our hospitals up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow is very beautiful if you can stay inside and look at it. Otherwise, it's cold and slippery if you have to go out. This next snow will be a wet one with wind. Conditions conducive to down trees and power outages. I hope that doesn't happen.

      COVID is filling up the hospitals here enough that the National Guard has been helping. I don't know the exact numbers though.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Look at all that snow! It looks beautiful, but, cold! This virus is spreading like crazy, isn't it? Stay as safe as you can, June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am following all of the recommended procedures to protect myself from the corona virus. However, I don't qualify for an exemption to work from home, so I am interacting with the public. However, the county has a mask mandate, a high vaccination rate, and most people are good about social distancing. I just hope for the best.

      Delete
  5. This latest storm had a very odd path and completely dipped under Michigan. While I'd like more snow, my husband will be taking my son back to college tomorrow and for that day, I'd like the weather to be clear and dry.

    Covid numbers have been crazy for awhile in our area, however, what I'm overwhelmingly seeing both at work and with friends/family who have gotten it, is that if you are vaccinated and boosted, your experience will most likely be like having a cold. Of course there are exceptions to that and I don't want to spread misinformation--I only want to mention that there are tools now available that we didn't have (or were just starting to have) a year ago and there is cause for hope. We are making headway, even though sometimes it feels like 2 steps forward and 3 steps back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about ambivalent feelings about snow. I like the cozy atmosphere it gives and always have hopes of a snow day from work just like when I was a kid hoping for school snow closures. However, I want safe roads for my son who has to go to work no matter what the weather is doing.

      As far as COVID goes, I'd like to think that it's 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to cope sometimes.

      Delete
    2. The past 6 weeks at the hospital where I work has had crazy high covid numbers. And the father of one of my daughter's friends died from complications from covid, so I've had moments of discouragement lately, but I do see encouraging signs and am focusing on those.

      Delete
    3. I am so sorry that your daughter's friends father died. Loss is always hard, but doubly hard at such a young age. This is a nasty disease. It really frustrates me that it has become so politicized.

      Delete

What do you think?