Monday, August 2, 2021

Surpise!


It's not a big surprise, like we won the lottery, but enjoyable all the same. Yesterday, I saw my first bloom on a spider lily plant that a friend gave me last year. She brought them with her when she moved from California and decided that she had too many. They spent the winter in our garage because these lilies are not hearty in our cold weather. They've been outside for months now and I've been waiting and wondering when or if they were going to bloom. And yesterday, I turned around and there it was. The first interesting, delicate, beautiful bloom. When I went outside this morning to show Ward, there was another. All blooms are interesting, but it's fun to be surprised by a new-to-me one. And when I read up on them, they said they were deer resistant. A big plus.

And speaking of deer resistant plants, tomatoes do not qualify. For a while now, deer have been eating the top off of our tomato plants and have now included the tomatoes. You know, if they would just pick a couple of tomatoes and eat the whole thing, I wouldn't mind. It's the take one big bite out of several tomatoes that I don't like. Same goes for the zucchini and sunflowers. Oh, well. It's all part of the balance of nature, I guess.

Despite the fact that the deer enjoyed the tomatoes, we were able to harvest several. I spent yesterday afternoon working with them and plan to make sauce out of them today to freeze. Also, we've finally used up the last of the zucchini. We'll see if we get some more when the deer will hopefully decide they are tired of them. The cucumbers are slowly coming on, but we've been lucky that Uncle Billy has been sharing his abundant crop. We've also been blueberry picking in his patch a couple of times that have yielded some for the freezer and some for snacking. I love this time of year with fresh vegetables and fruits to be found in abundance.

Computer time is up, so until next time...

8 comments:

  1. I love all the harvest this time of the year brings too! Like you I don't mind sharing, I just wish they would be a bit more precise with their taking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The deer listen to me about as much as my kids used to. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure I've ever seen a spider lily plant. It has a lovely blossom. I assume it's in a pot--will you try to get it to survive your winter in your garage again?

    We are just getting our first cherry tomatoes. We have a variety called Sugar Spun and when fresh picked off the vine, they do taste very sweet.

    I'm taking the day off from eating blueberries. Hubby and kids have picked a lot in the past few weeks, which turned out well for when we went on our vacation to WV--we brought a large box and it was our main fruit since the food market had limited offerings in terms of fruits. Also, we were surrounded by abundant wild blueberries and blackberries and they went picking a few times there, as well. We came home with quite a large amount. I see some blueberry baking in my future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen one of these, either. It is only hardy in zones 9, 10 may explain why. Yes, they are in pots and I will try to winter them again in the garage.

      Nothing beats a wild blackberry cobbler. A childhood tradition of mine. What do you have in mind for the berries?

      Delete
  3. That is a beautiful flower and the petals do looks like spider webs or spider legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are something different for me and I am enjoying them. I only wish I could plant them in the ground, but this climate is not for them.

      Delete
  4. Your spider lilies are beautiful! I hope you will manage to overwinter them in your garage and they will multiply, especially if they are deer resistant! Maybe you could keep the pot of lilies near the tomato plants to try to deter the deer from getting to the tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to get some of these, Bless. They came from Los Angles. I think they would do well in you gardens.

      That's an interesting idea to move them next to the tomatoes. However, they are deer resistant, meaning they aren't the first thing that a deer will eat. However, they are not deer repellant. I'm not sure anything is.

      Delete

What do you think?