Sunday, June 13, 2021

Thankful Sunday, June 13, 2021

 I am thankful for good service people. 

As you know, we lost a tree during a storm a couple of weeks ago. Luckily, through a recommendation of a neighbor (who also lost a tree at the same time), we hired a local tree service to remove the tree. They were prompt, efficient, and fairly priced. We will definitely use them again. So for a great tree guy to add to my list of service people,  I am thankful.

Here's what the tree work looked like.

The storm took down half of the tree and the rest of it was not long for this world, so we had the whole thing removed.


Tree Guy had his two sons helping him. First they cleaned up the fallen branches and chipped all of the debris with a large chipper.


Next, he cut all of the branches he could reach with a pole saw.



The Helpers cleared the area.


Then Tree Guy harnessed up to climb the tree. He had a chain saw tied to him for cutting the higher branches.



It takes a lot of skill to climb a tree with a chain saw safely.


Tree Guy was almost done with the climbing part of this job.


After watching from a safe distance, the Helpers were at work again.


Tree Guy then cut a notch for the final felling. 


The Helpers helped guide where the tree was going to fall. 


And it fell exactly where Tree Guy had planned. The trunk was 27" across.



Logs that were too heavy to lift (and chip), were loaded into the back of the truck with this handy little Bobcat-like machine (stand behind steer skid loader).


About a week later, Tree Guy came back and ground the stump.


Now, the final clean up is up to us. I wish The Helpers were here to help us move the dirt/sawdust to various low places in the yard. (The pile is much bigger than it appears in the picture.)



12 comments:

  1. That was a huge tree! We live in a neighborhood with a lot of older, large trees, so it's not unusual to have a tree removal service company out here. It tends to draw quite a crowd because of the skill level and danger that goes into the task. The chippers always frighten me--keep your fingers away!! I'm glad you found a reputable company to do this big job for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ward's family takes down their own trees often but they're not usually this big. They are a family of engineers and physicists so the job is well studied before they begin. With that being said, I am nervous when the work is being done whether by amatures or professionals.

      Delete
  2. Glad you found a good tree service and thanks for sharing the step by step progress. I couldn't help but get a little nervous watching him climb the tree with the chainsaw! Enjoy your Sunday evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And he's local, so it's always nice to support a local business.

      Delete
  3. Im super thankful for them too! Did you know there are 24 hour mechanics that can come to you? My check engine light went on at midnight while traveling and he came out for $65

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a loose gas cap but my anxiety was through the roof.

      Delete
    2. That's a good service and much needed. We have AAA that does that, but it cost more than $55 to subscribe.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you found a good local tree service person to help you! I like the fact that he had his sons helping him! I once cut down a dead tree that was in my back yard with a chain saw that one of my neighbors lent me (after he saw me trying to cut the tree with a hand saw and took pity on me!) I didn't climb the tree, though - I climbed a ladder! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just imagine you with a hand saw cutting down that tree!
      Your story reminds me of a former neighbor. He was elderly with health and mobility issues, and lived alone. His kids were worried about him-even bought him a golf cart so he wouldn't have to walk around the 3 acre property. One day I looked out the window and he was on a ladder with a chainsaw cutting tree branches. I went over and said I know you can do what you want, but speaking for your kids, they would want you to get down. He thanked me for my concern and kept doing what he was doing. I always admired his determination.

      We have a chain saw that we use from time to time for downed branches, but it's not big enough for the whole tree, usually.

      Delete
  5. It's nice to find a decent tree company. I finally did after many faulty tries. The last one, who took down the birch that had a bad insect infection, were in and out in under two hours and extremely professional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had another company that we had used before who were okay, but this guy was better and cheaper. A win, win.

      Delete

What do you think?