Wednesday, May 19, 2021

This and That

Iris
Long time, no see. Or something like that. My life has been going along in a very ordinary way with nothing inspiring me to post, but I'm going to do it anyway today. 

Goldfinch
The moderate weather and rainfall continue to make everything outside happy. The grass is growing rapidly and needs to be cut twice a week now. New flowers are blooming and the vegetables in the garden are thriving. We have harvested radishes, and beets should follow soon. I can see the first head of broccoli forming and the cabbage is growing like crazy. Unfortunately, the cabbage worms have found them, also. And unfortunately, the deer found our little apple tree and enjoyed the new growth on it. I guess all of God's creatures have to eat, she says trying to be positive while really being aggravated.

The birds are showing their bright spring mating colors and we've seen a nest of robins and a nest of house finches fledge. In the meantime, our birdfeeder is emptying at a new rate of speed. All God's creatures...

If you look closely, you can see the
orangish pollen sac (corbicula) on the bumble bee.
Tomorrow, Ward and I are leaving to spend a few days in West Virginia. We are now fully vaccinated and feel a bit more comfortable being out and about. Much of the visit will be spent visiting cousins and other family and friends with the hopes of working in some hiking and such. The weather is predicted to be in the low 90's, so we'll see how fast I fade when we are actually doing outdoor activities. 

One of our two vegetable beds.
And speaking of cousins, I found out at this week another cousin has been moved to hospice. I hope to be able to visit her on this trip. She is the kindest person who was always doing good deeds for others in a very quiet way. This makes me very sad. But life goes on and I plan to celebrate how lucky I am to have the extended family I have.

Now onto the practical of getting ready. I've started with the easy and am doing a load of laundry so we have plenty of clean clothes to choose from when we pack. And when I finish here, I'll try to not work another online jigsaw puzzle and procrastinate from the next chore on the list.

Until next time...


10 comments:

  1. Good to see a post from you! I sure looks like spring has fully sprung there. Everything is looking so nice and healthy. Enjoy you trip and visiting with friends and family. I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. I hope you are able to visit her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everything looks so nice in the middle of the hot dry summer, so I especially appreciate this time of year. I think it will be a good trip, but some difficult times during part of it.

      Delete
  2. Your flowers and your veggies look wonderful .... despite the creatures gobbling them up. We are having a good year for lilacs and I've been pleased to be able to share them with two friends.

    I'm sorry that you have yet another cousin whose health isn't doing well. I hope things work out so you can visit her. Enjoy your trip and don't forget the sunscreen. 90 degrees--yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have four lilac bushes here, but some of them don't look so good and probably should come out. Also, we have one kind that spreads continuously and is very hard to control. I love the flowers, but the bushes of been a headache at times. If we take some of them out and replace them with new lilacs, we will definitely invest in a newer variety. Do you have any problems with yours?

      Sunscreen and hats are on the list. Just haven't packed them yet. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
    2. True confessions here .... technically, most of the lilac bushes are on the neighbor's side of the fence. They are HUGE and there are many branches that are way over on our side of the property, so I've never worried about picking them. They have sent out additional plants (not sure the technical term) so we do have some on our side, one of which has beautiful blossoms now. I'm sure those are hard to control but I don't think our neighbors have tried to control them. They make a good privacy screen.

      We have a bush which is a different purple variety--the scent isn't as strong with that one. And we used to have a line of white ones but I think they are dying out. I never liked them as well. They had lots of stringy looking branches and didn't produce many blossoms. So that's my lilac saga.

      Delete
    3. I counted and we actually have 5 bushes, but only one of them looks really healthy, but they produce beautiful blossoms every year.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos of your garden! Lovely flowers and how well the vegetables are doing! I'm glad you are sharing your bounty with all of Nature's children. :)

    So sorry to hear that another cousin is in hospice. I hope you will be able to visit her. I'm glad that you and Ward are now fully vaccinated and able to go about a bit and get together with extended family. Enjoy your vacation and, if possible, take some pictures to share with us. Safe travels, June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely take some pictures and depending on the internet situation, I may post some of them before I get back. If not, I'll do a wrap up then.

      Delete
  4. We had a few nice days here but now we are back in the 60's with gray. Nice to see your flowers blooming. I was never able to grow cabbage or broccoli here. The bugs would just come out of nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how they do it, but cabbage worms have been on every cruciferous vegetable I've seen. However, so far they aren't too bad here.

      Delete

What do you think?